Small Block Chevy in a inherited 60 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Small Block Chevy in a inherited 60 Champ

Hi, my wife inherited a 60 Champ with no engine or transmission. This was unexpected and do not have a huge budget. What will we need to put a small block and a 700r4 or equal in this. We just want to make it a patina driver. Any help with parts and part numbers is appreciated!

Studebaker installed the SBC (not 700 tranny though) in that chassis in 65/66 so you need the motor mount adapters from one of those or a later Avanti (66 and up). The rear cross member will depend on the trans you chose. The 700 may require some minor tunnel adjustments but either GM overdrive Trans (700R4 or 2004R) should be excellent choices.

Most any SBC from early 60's to about 98 will bolt in as the mounting criteria didn't change on them until the change over to the newer technology in the late 90's. You'll probably want to stay with the earlier carbureted engines to keep wiring to a minimum.

Then it's just solving a few problems like what shifter to use and adding a few wires to put power to the ignition system and (if GM overdrive trans) and the converter lockup system on it. Accelerator connection and drive shaft will also need attention.

It's about the easiest engine swap one can encounter.

Bob

Comment

Well, assuming the Champ is a truck, seeing as there was no 1960 Champion car, the answer is: Studebaker never put the McKinnon engine in a truck chassis, so there are no "factory" parts to do it. Nevertheless, this would be a real easy swap to do. should be no clearance issues. Don't overlook the Chevy 4.3 liter V6 as used in S10 and full-sized pickups, either.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Chucker,
        Having done many of these types of transplants, the easiest for me has always been to purchase a complete running car and get the whole complete package with power steering, A/C, transmission, carburetion and exhaust manifolds and simply fabricate mounts to accommodate the install. I would suggest a late 70's or 80's General Motors Chev, Olds or Buick as they are cheap. There is even enough room in there for a mid 70's Oldsmobile 455 and turbo 400 which would make for a real nice driver. The last 1976 Oldsmobile 88 sedan I bought for just a couple of hundred dollars as nobody wants them.
        Luck,
        Bill

Comment

Bill,

They seem to go for a little more as they don't rust out in Az. Chucker, Bill is spot on about a complete car and when you are done, call the scrapper to dispose of the remains. Caution: once you get started, it is easy to modify your plans and decide to do more than patina.

Bob Miles
          The all new Champ by Studebaker...handles the toughest jobs in style (60 sales slogan)

Comment

Bob,
            Don't forget to update your information to show "BENSON" ! A pic of the movie town would be cool.
            Bill

Comment

Bill,

Yes Sir! I have updated my information and since it is dark at 600pm MST the best I can do is a wikipedia reference:

​​​​​​https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benson,_Arizona

I did go to the Mexican Restaurant last night

Bob Miles
              Welcome to Benson, now go home

Comment

Working...
              X