Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lark hardtop door cap upholstery, How was it done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Lark hardtop door cap upholstery, How was it done?

Good evening,

When Studebaker upholstered the door caps for the 1959-1962 Lark hardtops did they pad the metal cores then pull over the vinyl or just add vinyl. When I was examining 1962 Lark hardtops at what few international meets I have attended, I was paying more attention to the door gaps than to the interiors. Besides, any vinyl that was originally on my door caps had long dry rotted by the time I pulled my hardtop off the scrapheap in the mid 1980s.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

I JUST cut out my headliner last night on a 59 lark hardtop!
    Do any of these photos help?

Comment

My 62 Daytona door panel caps all had about 1/8” foam between the vinyl and the core.

Comment

Jeff is only talking about DOOR PANELS.

A Hardtop or Convertible does have Padded, Vinyl covered Pads over a Steel reinforcement strip on the top of the Door Panels and interior Quarter Window Panels.

They will have to be recreated and shaped.

Click image for larger version  Name:	White H_T7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	1965933
        Here is a '59 that has been repaired and nicely Reupholstered.

Click image for larger version  Name:	60 Hardtop Green3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	1965934
        The 1960 "Full Vinyl" Interior door Panels were clearly THE most beautiful ever!
        However THIS one, does not have the best carpet Color, Black or Tan would have worked.

You can always tell when an Upholstery Shop has worked on a Studebaker, ...they can NEVER get the Handles clocked right!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 11-07-2022, 08:13 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
          I JUST cut out my headliner last night on a 59 lark hardtop!
          Do any of these photos help?
          Looking at the pics, it appears the tin worms have wreaked havoc with the top, along the underside above the windows. Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Looking at the pics, it appears the tin worms have wreaked havoc with the top, along the underside above the windows. Yikes!
            yes, that is why I have removed the headliner: time to do some rust repair....

Comment

Working...
            X