Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Unknown Engine issue

Hi Guys

Yesterday my '62 Hawk started running rough, She will idle for a minute then the revs bounce and drop to almost zero and when I put it in gear (Auto) she stalls.
    I have had the engine and gearbox rebuilt and she has been running fine for at least the last year.
    Any Ideas please?

Wayne

Does it have a PCV system installed? A clogged PCV valve will exhibit these symptoms.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Lots of possibility's here, but I would first focus on the Distributor.
      Check the Cap inside and Rotor, look for loose or shorted wires inside, put a Dwell Meter on it and check out the action of the Points, and advance systems. Check that the Dist. is not loose and moving, check the Timing with a Timing Light.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Vented gas cap? Make sure you don't have any fuel vapor lock problems!

Comment

Remove the top of the carburetor and check the bowel for water.

Comment

• StudeRich
            StudeRich commented
            Editing a comment
            I am sure you meant BOWL David, Lol!

• RadioRoy
            RadioRoy commented
            Editing a comment
            I think he meant to clean the crap out of it.

You guys are too sharp I didn't think anybody would notice.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneXG95 View Post
            Hi Guys

Yesterday my '62 Hawk started running rough, She will idle for a minute then the revs bounce and drop to almost zero and when I put it in gear (Auto) she stalls.
            I have had the engine and gearbox rebuilt and she has been running fine for at least the last year.
            Any Ideas please?

Wayne
            My vote is for the Distributor. The Presolite distributors are notoriously bad after 60 years. They were not that great when they were new. Even though my Delco Remy is a good distributor, mine did fail. You can read about my adventures in my post You have to have a sense of humor to own a Studebaker.

Put your Dwell meter on and try different throttle and load tests.

Bob Miles
            A distinctive new family sports classic

Comment

Prestolite distributors can be rebuilt to be very good distributors. Their main fault is wearing out the advance weights at their pivot points, but when rebuilt with the currently available sintered steel/ bronze bushed weights they are very precise.

Comment

I had nearly exactly the same issues with my '51 Ford 8BA Flathead. It had been running fine and then one day I fired it up and out of the blue, it began experiencing the same types of problems you have. It turned out to be the distributor. Swapped it with a rebuilt and problem solved.

Comment

• Big Dan
                  Big Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, another '51 Ford guy!!!!!
              Working...
              X