Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Thermostat Gasket Sealant?

Any favorites that you all like? Thanks

I use either Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket or Permatex High Tack gasket sealer as I've gotten good results with both of them. I don't like using RTV sealant as it looks ugly when it oozes out. Bud

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
        I use either Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket or Permatex High Tack gasket sealer as I've gotten good results with both of them. I don't like using RTV sealant as it looks ugly when it oozes out. Bud
        I use the Permatex Aviation as well. But it's very runny - use sparingly!

Comment

I found a container of VersaChem. prime seal gasket sealant Type 3 Aviation from days gone by. I will use it first, thanks for replies.

Comment

I very rarely use a sealant on the thermostat housing or other water connections , but when I do, it's usually "Indian Head" gasket shellac.

Comment

I just use regular gasket silicone, because it's easy to wipe off and renew. It holds as good as anything else, even with an AC compressor anchored to the same bolts. I used to do an annual thermostat change: 160 in summer and 195 in winter. But since installing EFI in the two GTs, almost 10 years ago now, I just leave 195 in place year round. I leave a 195 in the 56J nowadays, because I don't drive it mush in summer. If I did, I'd go back to the 160 in summer, due to its WCFB being the most vapor lock prone of any carb I ever ran on a Stude.

Comment

I don't use any sealant. I DO use a very expensive metal, and silicone bead gasket, and it stops any leak from any rusted pitted surface. Yes, it's 25 bucks, but they never leak, and with the crap Avanti surge tank lower flange always being bent....it's worth it to me.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank you all yes, it is the surge tank! I usually use Fel-Pro, but it leaked on this one. Here is another one I used in the past that was good, Hylomar Gasket & Jointing Compound.
                  Last edited by solar; 11-08-2022, 02:59 AM. Reason: Added content.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    I don't use any sealant. I DO use a very expensive metal, and silicone bead gasket, and it stops any leak from any rusted pitted surface. Yes, it's 25 bucks, but they never leak, and with the crap Avanti surge tank lower flange always being bent....it's worth it to me.
                    Brad, can you please post the part number etc. for the gasket.
                    Thanks
                    John

Comment

Lately, I have been using clear RTV, so it doesn't look as bad, as say black, blue, or orange.

Comment

My '63 has Permatex coolant seal - the white stuff in the white tube - use ONLY a skim coat - put a little dab on and then wipe off as much as possible (use your finger), while keeping an even layer on the gasket (Nothing will squeeze out then). That said, all the above methods will work well - They are all time tried and proven.
                        paultk

Comment

I find them from Cometic at Oreilys, but here is a link I found on the web.
                          Mr. Gasket Thermostat Housing , Water Outlet Gasket - Rubber - Buick , Chevy , Oldsmobile - BB , SB , V8 : 738G (pitstopusa.com)
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

• enjenjo
                            enjenjo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You can also get them from NAPA in the Felpro line

I draw file gasket surfaces 2 to 10 strokes with a large fine flat file before assembly. Dents and local High spots sare knocked down.
                          A small amount of housing warp can be detected, improved or even corrected. Minimal warp is Important on carb bodies and t-stat housing.

If what remains is Ugly sealing surfaces , the gasket may need some help.
                          My favorite gasket dressing for the last decade or so is a THIN ( thin ?) skim coat of Permatex Ultra gray applied by fingertip.
                          If miraculously any oozes out, it has the decency to not attract attention to itself by wearing garish colors and bell bottoms. (OOPS I hear bell bottoms are again back in style )
                          It is firm enough to be a thick form-in-place gasket, and slight ooze on the oil /water side does not seem likely to morph into a deadly lamprey that heads to oil passages, thermostats etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
                            I draw file gasket surfaces 2 to 10 strokes with a large fine flat file before assembly. Dents and local High spots sare knocked down.
                            A small amount of housing warp can be detected, improved or even corrected. Minimal warp is Important on carb bodies and t-stat housing.
                            I do the same thing when possible. I use 320 grit wet/dry sand paper on a surface plate. You'd be surprised how far from flat "flat" stuff actually is.

Comment

Working...
                            X