Voltage Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Voltage Regulator

How can I tell if my voltage regulator is going bad?
    Peter Bishop

The usual method is to check the generator or alternator and all the wire connections. If they are all good, the voltage regulator is deemed bad by process of elimination.

The procedure is in the shop manual or in MOTOR's manuals.

What symptoms are you experiencing?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

These charging systems are very simple. If you aren't getting the amperage or voltage you need, it can only be one of three things (or a combination of them) - bad generator, bad (or maladjusted) regulator, or wiring (wires too small, loose/corroded connections, etc).

I know I will probably draw some fire for saying this (which is fine), but the 6-volt electrical systems - particularly the charging systems, were notoriously weak and insufficient to begin with. Yours is 12-volt, though, right?

As Roy also mentioned, the front of the "Motors Manual" shows very thorough testing for voltage regulators and generator output!
      Last edited by Big Dan; 11-06-2022, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Are you seeing an erratic ammeter needle or a flickering generator light? If you do, it could be that the contacts on the regulator relays are worn or there could be loose or corroded connections in the wiring. An easy way to check the regulator is to run the engine above about 1500 rpm for a few minutes to get everything stabilized in the charging system and then check the voltage at the battery. If the charging system is up to snuff, you should see a steady reading somewhere between 13.8 and 14.7 volts with the engine running at or above 1500 rpm. Bud

Comment

Working...
        X