Need help removing 62 Hawk front window regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Need help removing 62 Hawk front window regulator

I have been searching this site and Google for the removal procedure. Everything I found is clear as mud. In a nutshell, the window appears tied to the vent window frame preventing moving it forward or backward. I posted a picture. Are the nubs on the frame supposed to come out through the end of this slot? Thanks.
    Attached Files

There are retaining clips that hold the regulator "nubs" in the lift channel. You need to remove those clips from the anterior side of the channel.
    If you haven't, you might want to obtain a copy of the Shop Manual for your Hawk.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks Rockne10, helped a lot.

Comment

I did this a year or so ago, removed regulators, straightened and lubed them, put in new glass and rubber around vent window. I posted here for help, got great advice. Read and re-read the Stude repair manual and looked at pictures in my body & chassis books. I'm sorry but I don't remember exactly all it entailed (turn 70 next week). But I will say this, it was the most difficult job I can remember doing. It taxed all my mental faculties. I would quit for a few days and then go back at it. The second one was much easier. So just keep at it. Once you've done it, it makes sense, but it was so foreign to me, so hard to see the parts and seemingly impossible to reach some of them.
        Rafe Hollister

Comment

I'll repeat myself on those small clips that are on the outer side of the channel: they simply snap off & on. I have several times (tho successfully) pushed them off (longitudinally) and usually had to find them on the door's floor ( good idea to pre-vacuum the inside door anyway). My last install was a simple push on. Good point on straightening the regulator arm beforehand)....

Comment

This is from my 53-54 manual. I had to read this several times to figure it out. Once the clips are off the rest is easy. On this model the clips are on the inside and you have to remove the by feel, although they do come off quite easy.

Comment

The posted pictures leave me wondering what dummy(s) was responsible for the service manual production. Having just disassembled a door and struggle with the hidden clips, any manual I produced would show the regulator/window assembly out of the door with clips facing the camera and highlighted. Pictures of the vent windows housing free of the door and glass being lifted are useless.

Comment

It really isn't that bad. Remove the clips that face towards the outside door, push/lift window up and maybe use a wedge to keep window from dropping. Undo the screws holding the regulator to the inner panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1F5636E1-4448-4F0D-991A-AC0379412B61.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1966010

Click image for larger version

Name:	84864189-51CC-4260-A69B-28EE4771DEC4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1966011
                "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

From experience on a 1963 GT Hawk: Avoid removing or loosening the window (guide) channels - They provide the alignment of the window -to - door seals - Sometimes the alignment can be accomplished somewhat easily (like an hour or so fiddling) as w' the pass. side did. The driver side took most of one day and the next to get a seal that didn't leak water or wind noise (at least not too much to be annoying). And, yes installing those retaining clips is "challenging)".
                  As noted above, stay with it and you can get it done - Best of luck.
                  paultk

Comment

The clips are very easy to install. Slide them off to remove, position them centered over the "pin" and push them straight on, don't try to slide them into the groove.
                    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Working...
                    X