No announcement yet.

1990 Avanti Gas Door Release solenoid and Trunk Release solenoids not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1990 Avanti Gas Door Release solenoid and Trunk Release solenoids not working

Hi Guys,
    a 1990 Avanti Sedan came into my possession here in the UK today.

It has been sitting since 2013.

The gas door release button centre console does not seem to be working.
    Neither is the truck release. That may also indicate a blown fuse - if there is one for that system.
    The trunk release is not really a problem as there is also a key for the trunk.

Have any of you experience with getting the solenoid to pop the gas flap open when it is not working ???

All lights and other systems seem to be working. However, I do not want to force the gas lid open yet.

Thanks for your help.

Greg Diffen

Attached Files
    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Looks like you have some nice stuff across the pond.

May we see some pictures of that pink 58, please?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy,
      there are a few Packards here in my garages of that vintage. Two are giving me grief recommissioning them.
      The Sedan and coupe are running.

The wagon was restored by someone who was not a Studebaker person and who ducked some of the harder things, so it's taking a while to get it better.
      It's a great car though and all are rust free. So I can't really complain.

Regards
      Greg
      Attached Files
      Greg Diffen

1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Greg,
        What a great eclectic collection "across the pond" you have. My '57 Clipper Country Sedan (Wagon) is the same colour (spelled this way because we (Canada) are a commonwealth country) as your sedan.
        Back to your Avanti. I assume the fuel has been sitting in the tank for the last nine years. If that is the case and you are saddled with ethanol in your fuel, I would try a tank removal (don't know how difficult that is on a late model) and a thorough cleaning. Ethanol may have gummed up the pump and filter so it may fix it.
        Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.
        Bill
        ​​​​​​​PS: Where in England are you located?

Comment

Wow! Nice cars!
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

What an absolutely-outstanding-looking car! I didn't know that Avanti made a 4-door version. Congratulations are in order.
            (I'm going to raise a pint--or more--to you this evening. It/they will not be warm, though.)

And, before I forget,---"Good on you, mate!"
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            From Buzzard--"...
            My '57 Clipper Country Sedan (Wagon) is the same colour (spelled this way because..."

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language"---Oscar Wilde, The Canterville Ghost
            Last edited by jcharlestc; 11-04-2022, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Please Do Not pry the door open!
              There SHOULD be a secondary Release Cable in the Trunk, Back Seat or somewhere like most higher production common Cars with Electric Gas Doors had.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• sweetolbob
                sweetolbob commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll agree with Rich here, don't pry on anything. You can try to open the gas door by applying 12V to the wire where it is fastened to the switch. If that doesn't work, pull the side panel and/or rear seat out and if you can get to the solenoid and work from there. If the solenoid isn't accessible with the rear seat out then try getting to it through the trunk.

The other thing to keep in mind is you need good grounds on these glass bodied cars so be sure you have a good ground along with a good 12v connection.

I agree with 'sweetolbob', who agrees with 'StudeRich', who agrees with...

BUT---

Let's go back one step; a very main step...
              We never got an update from you regarding your looking for a fuse which might control these two items.
              Did you ever pursue this, and if so, what was the outcome?
              It seems logical that simply because of the functions involved and the physical placement on the car, that Studebaker would have relegated one fuse for both.

My only suggestion, for what it's worth, is that checking fuses, even current-day, brand-new ones in a brand-new car is, at best, a 'dicey' situation (finding THE bad fuse in a then-new 2015 Camry was...interesting).
              You do not need an expensive ohmmeter1; an inexpensive multimeter (with a new, ALKALINE battery--very important) will work very well, but make certain that your test leads terminate in 'alligator clips' which clip ONTO the fuse being tested; do not rely on the very-common "pointy ends" of standard-fare multimeter test leads.

Your car probably (maybe) uses the old-style tubular glass fuses. Do not rely on an "eyeball" check. This style fuse--particularly an old one--is notoriously unreliable; even if the fuse wire looks good, chances are that an internal connection is no longer reliable.

Regards, and keep us informed, please...
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              1 Here's what I use; it's (they're) the only thing(s) I've ever used. I've got a copy in every toolbox and tool-bag:

https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ter-63759.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ads-66712.html
              Last edited by jcharlestc; 11-04-2022, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                thanks for your input.

I am of the opinion the petrol tank needs to be removed.

In relation to the gas cap release the answer came from Bob Peterson who also has one.

On the 1990 sedans the ignition needs to be ON to make the switch in the centre console work.

On my 1988 Avanti, the ignition does not have to be on.

From memory, there is no fail safe pull wire for these gas cap covers. On my 88 there is a wire trunk and hood release underneath.

We live at Studebaker Central UK in Warwick

Regards
                Greg

Greg Diffen

1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
                X