Avanti Power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Avanti Power steering

I recently noticed a slight amount of play in my 1963 Avanti's steering linkage where the pitman arm goes into the power steering control valve. The valve operates correctly with very little fluid leakage. There is a little over 1/2 inch play at steering wheel. Is this a safety concern? I can live with 1/2 inch of play at the steering wheel. I see rebuilt valves are available. How difficult are they to install? Thanks for any advice relative to this issue.

Was the play with the engine running at idle? The valve will have play without pressure in the system.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Well as Jack will most likely agree, one has to define "rebuilt" To be truly rebuilt the spool valve has to be addressed, most need to be changed, "Stranger Site" is the acknowledged expert on these valves, and it AFAIK is the only entity that has actually re-manufactured new spool valves. I suggest checking out their website very informative and these guys are the real deal.

Comment

Here is the website:

http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringsysteminfo.html

The site appears to be very useful for all kinds of info on steering systems.

--Dwight

Comment

Wow is that a great site, thanks for the lead.

Comment

No problem, I do not charge club members, only "X-ers" :-)

Comment

I'm not so sure the "Stanger Site" has spool valves for Studebaker systems. They are NOT the same diameter as Ford valves, and will not work with Ford parts. The other parts WILL work, just NOT the spool valves OR SEALS.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                I'm not so sure the "Stanger Site" has spool valves for Studebaker systems. They are NOT the same diameter as Ford valves, and will not work with Ford parts. The other parts WILL work, just NOT the spool valves OR SEALS.
                Brad just received a message from Randy Meyer of Strangers, he sadly reported that he has no spool valves that will fit the Stude, he did say he can hone it if it is not too bad.

Comment

Working...
                X