Ventilation door assembly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Ventilation door assembly question

55 Commander, sedan, vent door spring. Where does the lower end of the ventilation door spring anchor, see attached picture
    thanks

Goodness, doesn't that bring back memories! I don't have an answer for you because I didn't know it had a spring - mine doesn't. But that may be because I just left it off or there wasn't one on it when I cut it out of the car.

Believe it or not I grafted one of those onto the cab of my '51 Ford F1 Truck to service the "Magic-Aire" Heater "Fresh Air" feature after removing the original duct up in the front fender when I converted to a front tilt.

Enough about that until you get an answer. Good luck!

Comment

This is how my 54 sedan is configured

Comment

My '62 is like Altair's '54 sedan but, there is no added tab welded to the frame, well, there might have been before I removed the door and repaced it with a grill, but I don't remember it. I removed the door because it and the outer door couldn't be opened because the AC was in the way. I made a new lever assembly mounted to the bottom of the right corner of the dash that can be easily accessed to open the outer door. Currently there is just a hole in the sheetmetal about the same place the spring hooks through.

Comment

Thanks, still looking for original set up but may have to get creative

Comment

Here’s how it’s put together on my 53.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4E4A366B-F14D-42C2-868E-848C2FECD56B.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1964941

Comment

Thanks mb, I see a similar attachment hole on my car as can be seen in the picture. Will try it out. My car didn’t have a spring when I first got it. This forum comes through again.
              Merwin

Comment

You guys are just evil because this thread made me go look.
                I mean I would have gotten to this eventually but it was very low on the priority list.

So now I have screens, springs, and gaskets on order thank to our great Studebaker vendors. Of course you have to throw in a couple other items while you're on the phone...

Thanks to everyone on the forum, its great to see other people vehicles and projects. As usual the forum is a great resource and I am proud to be part of it.
                DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
                1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

Ok, here’s what I ended up doing. I liked what mb did as it might have been as built but that would have required the removal of the clam shell duct assembly and that requires a contortionist so went creative on you.

Comment

Working...
                  X