Diff ratios vs mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackb View Post
    referring to the chart. Its likely those mpg numbers are under the "best" of testing conditions. Unlikely the back roads of NC
    Laps around the Studebaker Proving Ground Track.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

My Avanti R1 4-speed has a single leg rear 3.54. I contemplated swapping out the ring&pinion and putting in either a 3.07 or 3.31. I though long and hard about the cost/benefit ratio. The 3.54 is still in the car, and mileage is no longer a major consideration as the car is driven only a few hundred miles in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
        My Avanti R1 4-speed has a single leg rear 3.54. I contemplated swapping out the ring&pinion and putting in either a 3.07 or 3.31. I though long and hard about the cost/benefit ratio. The 3.54 is still in the car, and mileage is no longer a major consideration as the car is driven only a few hundred miles in a year.
        Wise decision; the cost/benefit ratio is upside down. The fuel savings would never pay for the new R&P. For a hobby car, the benefit of an overdrive or numerically lower rear gear is quieter, more relaxed highway cruising. I can testify having the 700R4, it's a different car on the highway. Around town, I actually prefer the Powershift.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
        X