Studebaker Avanti brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    A small pry bar will suffice. just remove the upper retainer and leave the old pads in place while prying between the rotor and old pad. They retract as easily as any caliper. By leaving the old one in place you protect the retaining head on the piston. Make sure the new pads fit well. Some have to be filed or sanded so they don't lock up n the caliper bridge. Many are oversize slightly.
    Brad many thanks..........I have several sets of the original "green" painted pads as marketed by Girling. Oh, should I remove some brake fluid from the master cylinder to prevent an over fill situation when the pistons are pushed back?

Comment

Brake problem could be you have a check valve in the master cylinder, disc brake cars don’t have one.
      The brakes locking up in reverse may be the adjustment is too loose and allowing the brake shoes to rotate and cam out against the drum. Try moving the car forward a foot or so first then back up.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
        Brake problem could be you have a check valve in the master cylinder, disc brake cars don’t have one.
        The brakes locking up in reverse may be the adjustment is too loose and allowing the brake shoes to rotate and cam out against the drum. Try moving the car forward a foot or so first then back up.
        I do and eventually the car is able to get into reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          A small pry bar will suffice. just remove the upper retainer and leave the old pads in place while prying between the rotor and old pad. They retract as easily as any caliper. By leaving the old one in place you protect the retaining head on the piston. Make sure the new pads fit well. Some have to be filed or sanded so they don't lock up n the caliper bridge. Many are oversize slightly.
          Brad should I remove some brake fluid from the master cylinder before I reset the pistons???

Comment

Probably, any time you retract brakes the fluid has to go somewhere. It's always a good idea to bleed the brakes, and put in fresh fluid every three years. Non silicone fluid absorbs water from the humidity in the air. Eventually it becomes saturated, and rusts iron parts in the system.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X