Trunnion Bushing Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Trunnion Bushing Problem

Is it possible for a trunnion bushing to be defective?
    I’m rebuilding the front suspension on my ‘63 Hawk, and I have one upper bushing that I can get started into the A-arm and turn it in about 1 full turn until I can’t get it to go any further even with a 5’ breaker bar and all the strength I have.
    I’ve taken both bushings off and swapped sides, and the problem follows one bushing, it just won’t go in. They both screw onto the pin smoothly with no issues.
    The outer “threads” such as they are, aren’t perfect, but I don’t see any obvious problem to cause an issue.

Yes entirely possible, I has one several years ago that was looser than the original I took out

Comment

Measure the O.D. of that Bushing and compare to the others, if it is TOO Large for the Hole in the "A" Arm it IS Defective.

Not screwing onto the Shaft is a totally different Problem, the Shaft (or Pin) may not be centered.
      Are you using the "Spreader Tool"?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

reread post 3

Comment

I am using a spreader tool.

Comment

Where did you buy these parts.
            SI had some that were out of spec made overseas.
            They will send you the proper ones.
            They are a good vendor and I bought a lot of parts
            from them in the past

Comment

I got them from SI, and they are indeed a GREAT vendor. I had an issue with 1 of my replacement king pins where an area on it wasn’t machined properly. Told them about the problem, and they had a new one sent to me no charge whatsoever.
              I ended up just getting a single replacement bushing from Studebakerparts.com in AZ, solved the problem.

Comment

Studebakerparts is also a great vendor.

Comment

Working...
                X