No announcement yet.

Repacking rear axle bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Repacking rear axle bearings?

Is repacking the axle bearing as simple as just remove the axle, repack and slide back in? The shop manual doesn't seem to have any details on how this is done.

It's almost that simple. You should replace the inner and outer oil seals while you are in there.

I would re-check the axle end play afterwards.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Depends on your car. Some have removable plugs that can be replaced with a grease zerk. Grease is then pumped in with a low pressure hand gun until it emerges from a vent hole on top. Make sure the vent hole is not clogged with a stiff wire first.
      JT

Comment

Check end play BEFORE you disassemble. That way, if the bearings are serviceable, you can either reassemble as it was (if end play is within spec), or make make pre-determined shim adjustments. The 1956 and earlier had a plug to remove and install a grease zert, and pump grease till it exits a vent hole, but if you have never been inside this particular rear end, it's best to disassemble, that way you can also inspect the bearings and do a good overall cleanup, that is likely badly needed.

Comment

What is the YEAR of the Stude.?

Packing the rear wheel bearings IS that easy, IF it is Not a Twin Traction Axle.
          Many 1957 and later Cars (more on '62-'66) were ordered with a TT.

The procedure has been talked about many times here, on removing and replacing an Axle with a TT Rear, due to the small Spacers on the inside end of the axles.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The car is a 64 Daytona, with a Dana 27. It doesn't have TT badges but I don't know for sure if it is or not. It's a 4 door sedan, so probably not.

Comment

• StudeRich
              StudeRich commented
              Editing a comment
              The Twin Traction Axles on Studes. were most often ordered for Mud, Snow and Ice and PLENTY of 4 Doors had them, NOT just for Racing.
              Turn a wheel and see which way the other turns, it is not always a 100% correct method, but will save time using other methods. If you see the other wheel tuning the SAME way, it likely IS a TT.

The '64's do not have TT Emblems.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 10-01-2022, 10:55 PM.

• skalka
              skalka commented
              Editing a comment
              I turned the right axle clockwise (forward) and had someone watch the left axle. He said it also turned clockwise (reverse), so opposite direction. So must not be TT. Paperwork found in the cars shows it was sold used in Houston in early 80s, so may have been a Texas car.

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            It's almost that simple. You should replace the inner and outer oil seals while you are in there.

I would re-check the axle end play afterwards.
            That would mean he needs a dial indicator? This is not just a simple plug-n-play...........hub puller needed!...........and a torque wrench.

Comment

All four wheels now have correct brakes. Will order new rear seals and gaskets if Stephen Allen has power restored. Next is to replace a brake line and change the master cylinder while I wait for parts. I'm sure I will have more questions as I try to figure out what has been done to this poor car.

Comment

I have a '64 Commander 4-dr (259, AT, Dana 27) and it has a "TT" emblem on the back (left side, below the back-up lights). Of course, the TT emblem could have been added by a previous owner.
                --Dwight

Comment

Working...
                X