Oil spray leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil spray leak

Amazingly all of the fluids in and everything’s buttoned down, the car with the completely rebuilt engine actually started up. I’m still talking about my 1952 Studebaker commander Land Cruiser three speed manual overdrive. As I gave it some gas while sitting in the driver seat and watching through the crack of the opened hood I could actually see oil spraying all over. I turned it off luckily it did not have any near amount of time to get hot I guess it ran for five seconds. My problem now and the help I need is suggestions on where I might have gone wrong. The oil level is right at the add 1/2 quart level which I did on purpose. I was very careful I thought at least with the valve cover gaskets, all of the gasket retainers are in place inside the valve covers. Is it possible that the valley cover, that thin plate could be the source of the spray leak? I’m estimating in a few seconds I had a half cup of oil come out a lot of it collected on top of the valley cover and sprayed over on the driver side valve cover and on the fender well. Thank you in advance for any ideas you may have everything else is amazingly great good spark good cranking pretty good running although the timing is off. And that will be a problem in the future because my distributor hold down clamp was missing I can’t seem to find one to purchase so I had to use a bent washer with a bolt to try to hold it in place. Much appreciated your consideration and sharing your expertise even guess what it could be thanks in advance, Roger Click image for larger version

Name:	385B8FA3-DC3A-4BA0-9CF7-B77612E42E27.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1959681

With my '51 Commander it was the tube to the oil pressure gauge. It comes off the engine on the passenger side near the fire wall. The rubber portion can have a small crack and although it is on the passenger side it can spray all over in any given direction when under pressure. Turner brake has a great replacement for short money. These seem to be notorious leakers especially when work is done that moves them around and leaks are hard to see when the engine is not running.

Comment

Only a guess, but is it possible that the oil pressure line going from the rear of the engine to your oil pressure gauge came loose or was cracked? Easy to check, but if so, can create an enormous mess in only a few seconds. I was also thinking of a leak at the oil filter, but I didn't see an oil filter in your picture. In any event, most likely a small problem and one easily fixed. Best of luck.
      Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

I too vote for the oil pressure line or connection
        Dave Hugo
        Duncan, SC
        1955 President
        1940 Champion 1963 Lark Custom

Comment

A replacement can also be obtained from Studebaker International. I keep a spare in my glove box just in case.

Comment

Your small 1/8 pipe plug is missing at the front of the engine

Comment

Mr. Altair NAILED IT!!!! I had already replaced the flex line for the oil pressure prior to starting the engine so it was not that. I think the 1/8” plug is the culprit as most of the oil is deposited on that side of the engine. Thanks to all who contributed now and in the past. Thank you Mr. Altair of BC!!
              Unfortunately another problem, another post coming now, has to do with starter. Roger

Comment

In my experience, the tube to the oil pressure gauge may not leak at idle, but will spray a lot when the engine revs increase. If that is your problem, use the new reproduction tube available from Studebaker vendors, and not a NOS tube. Even if unused, the rubber on an NOS will be brittle.
                Bill Jarvis

Comment

I think if you look at the picture that he posted with the problem you can see the missing oil plug location on the cylinder head.....yes - no ?

Comment

Absolutely that’s why I posted “nailed it”, he was absolutely right that plug was left off that is my problem. Thanks to you all very much

Comment

There is also a missing bolt in the intake manifold.

Comment

I thought the same thing but when I look down there I’m not seeing any hole with threads but I’ll have to check it again tomorrow thanks for the heads up

Comment

Thank you Mr. Altair. I'm sure I'm not the only one who learned something valuable tonight. And so much of what I've learned on the Forum is stuff you will never learn in the manuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Al from Eatonville View Post
                            Thank you Mr. Altair. I'm sure I'm not the only one who learned something valuable tonight. And so much of what I've learned on the Forum is stuff you will never learn in the manuals.
                            Good catch!
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The open 1/8" Pipe thread hole is for the Fram Oil Filter that can be added.

It is possible that the Intake is a '55 to '58 259/289, that used the end Bolt Holes.
                              Your 232 Heads used with the Clamp Style Center Intake Retainers, are not drilled and tapped or necessary.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X