ammeter 2R5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: ammeter 2R5

OK, I have a 1949 2R5 and prior owner converted to a 12 volt system. I believe the ammeter gauge needs a wire connection adjustment. Can someone tell what wires need to be connected to the right post and then the left (Image attached and not giving aproper reading).

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Did the prior owner also convert from positive ground to negative ground? What does the ammeter read now? It should read no more than half way in either direction, about 15 amps. If it's wired correctly, it will read in the negative direction with the headlights on and the engine off. If it reads positive under those conditions, then it's wired backwards. Just switch the wires to the other posts. 15 to 20 amps at 12 volts will not hurt a 60 amp ammeter.

BTW, can't enlarge your photo.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

• robchhi
      robchhi commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it's now a neg. ground. Have wire from solenoid on one side and wire from alternator on the other and a wire from ignition. Have flipped/reversed all of these 3 connections with the same Ammeter reading. Also have pulled headlight switch and meter moves further left of center. The reading is just a bit to the right of center while the battery is showing about 12.5 v at idle.

Are you running an alternator with a built in regulator?

Comment

• robchhi
      robchhi commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure, assume it is but I have been unable to find the specs on it. It's a Delco Remy 1102480 61A and one wire.

If you are now running an alternator, then your readings seem reasonable. With the engine at idle and no accessories running, the ammeter should be close to zero, or slightly to the positive. With the headlights turned on, it should show some discharge. Originally, the 2R trucks did not have a starter solenoid -- the floor-mounted starter switch connected directly to the starter without a solenoid. I mention this because it means some other rewiring was done beyond the voltage/polarity conversion. In other words, the original wiring diagram may no longer be relevant.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

• robchhi
      robchhi commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks again!

From an electrical instrumentation person:

Ammeters don't care whether the system they're in is 3v, 6v, 12v, or 24 or 48 volts.
    That's one of the really neat things about ammeters: they read/indicate the current flowing through them, only, and do not care what the system voltage is...within limits, of course.

Comment

• robchhi
      robchhi commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I missed your comment. Thanks, very much appreciated!
Working...
X