Early vs Late Control Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Early vs Late Control Arm

I’m currently rebuilding the entire front suspension on my ‘63 GT. One of the openings for the passenger side upper control arm was oval instead of round, so I decided to replace it. I got a replacement from one of our vendors and the only difference I see is that it doesn’t have a hole in the recess like my original ones do.
    Is this possibly a pre ‘62 control arm?

Don't know about that, but I notice that the mounting ears for the rubber bushings on your old one are nowhere near parallel. Was a good idea to replace it.

Comment

It must be too early for me to think (or something), but I don't see any SIMILARITY between the two pieces, except that they appear to both be made of steel.

--Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
        It must be too early for me to think (or something), but I don't see any SIMILARITY between the two pieces, except that they appear to both be made of steel.

--Dwight
        Agree, but was thinking it was maybe due to camera angle or something. Definitely looks like a different part. However, I do not see any problems with parallelism in the mounting ears, would need a better pic to call that one.

Comment

Here’s different photos with the original (on the right) before powder coating.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoHawk View Post
            Here’s different photos with the original (on the right) before powder coating.
            Well, now I see it. Your vendor sent you an upside-down control arm. Return it ti him and demand a right-side-up control arm.
            --Dwight

Comment

Let’s go this way, what is the difference between the ‘62 and earlier control arm and the later ones?
              I can’t believe the only difference would be the hole that my original has and the replacement doesn’t.

Comment

I just reviewed pictures of previous work I had done. The 55 Speedster I worked on did not have the hole. The 63 Avanti did. I do not know if there are any other differences or what the hole is for.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I have never worked on an Avanti, but every Stude I have seen had a metal bracket in that area, to clip-mount the upper jounce rubber onto. I have drilled a hole in that area, and installed a lower jounce there, trimmed down on top, because many times, if setting up a bit higher (as I prefer) the required max positive camber adjustment causes the top of the king pin to kiss the clip on style jounce. Perhaps Avanti uses something similar to the lower jounce, which requires a bolt hole, as yours appears to have.

Comment

Maybe taking a few measurements will help...to compare...

Comment

Both the Avanti and Speedster I worked on have the clip for the upper bumper on the frame, not the upper arm.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                        Both the Avanti and Speedster I worked on have the clip for the upper bumper on the frame, not the upper arm.
                        Yes, you are right, my mistake. I drill a hole in that clip to mount the above mentioned lower jounce, then trim it down as needed.

Comment

Working...
                        X