Gas pedal rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Gas pedal rod

I wonder if anyone knows or can check the length of the rod (0312-3) that goes between the gas pedal & the linkage that sits on the rear engine on a V8, coupe or Hard Top?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	GasRod.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.0 KB ID:	1951398
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 07-14-2022, 01:11 PM.

I have such a rod, lying on my workbench right now. But I don't know what it came from. There is also another style, that has a horizontal bend at the engine end, which fits into a small trunnion that in turn fits into the bell crank. I will measure the rod I have, and report back.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I don't know what year they changed the bellcrank but, I know in '53 it was mounted on the firewall, then later mounted on the engine block.
      I suspect these would take different throttle rods.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanx, so far - so good...

The car is a -53 Champion that now has a -59 Lark 259 & the pedal had the original rod from the 6-cyl engine that has a fork that attached to the pedal & a cup that fitted on a ball on the linkage on the firewall.
        Now I have to fabricate something new, no problem as long as I know what it should look like in reality, most important is the length.
        Maby a photo would be possible..?

Comment

Would you consider buying a NOS one from one of the Studebaker vendors?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
            The car is a -53 Champion that now has a -59 Lark 259 ...
            So, are you using the '59 throttle bellcrank that's bolted to the 259, or the '53 bellcrank that's bolted to the firewall?
            Does your accelerator pedal take the rod with the ball that fits in to the bottom of the pedal, or the one with a pivot and clevis?

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

No, the car is a -53 but the rest aint; this is the linkage, I think it might be from a G.T. Hawk:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	CarbLinkage 7 J.W.'s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.8 KB ID:	1951477
              & this is the rod that was on the original Champion pedal:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.8 KB ID:	1951478
              So as stated before: I need to know the length of the V8 rod, & preferably a picture too.

Comment

I don't know how exacting your request is, but I did the same swap and the throttle linkage is about 6". I used the same rod off the V8. There are generic adjustable ones available, it is so far down near the bottom of the firewall that you can't see it. It would be very easy to hold the pedal in a comfortable position and measure to the engine linkage.

Comment

I made a new one, maby it's just a prototype - don't know yet, I messured 5,5 inches length & did some cut & welding with stuff laying about... This is what it looks like now, it's the silver one under the original brown-rusty-dirty:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	CarbRod New.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1951512

Comment

I measured the one I have. It looks exactly like the one in the factory picture, and measures 8 inches long around the curve. That would be just over 20 cm. You could have it if you want, but the cost of postage would likely far exceed the value of the part.

Comment

Ok Thanx Gord, that's quite a bit longer than I thought. & a big thanx for the offer but as you said the shipping would hardly be worth it, & now that I made one I'll see how that one works, maby I'll have to lengthen it a bit...

Comment

Done, good enough for whatever comes!:
                        (thou it took a while to figure out the bends)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020659.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1951728

Comment

Looking good! You might also consider getting a complete cable throttle setup out of some late-model wreck at a junkyard.

Comment

My experiance with cables aint as good as my experiances with rods...

Comment

Working...
                            X