New steering wheel with power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: New steering wheel with power steering

I recently had an electric power assist added to my 1953 Commander HT. I can now back my way from my driveway into the street without getting a hernia! But now I no longer need the huge steering wheel. I want to keep the can as Studebaker authentic as I can. Is there smaller diameter Studebaker wheels that are compatible with my steering column? Perhaps one from a car with factory installed power steering. Is there somewhere I can identify what the dimensions and design I need if no Studebaker wheel will work? I'm 83 and no longer capable of doing my own work on the car. I want to make the job easier for my mechanic, (thereby making it easier on my wallet.) My more than generous sized belly forces my seat belt into the large wheel.

I don't know about any Stud smaller wheels. I believe you can get a wheel made which looks old but is new and smaller.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

1953 to 1956 Studebaker steering wheels for cars only came in two sizes. The ones for the C/K models were an inch smaller in diameter than the sedan/wagon models. You already have the smaller one, although it is not smaller by much.

There was no difference in steering wheel size from manual steering to power steering models.

How did you handle the transmission shift selector? Those usually have to be changed when electric power assist steering is installed.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-13-2022, 10:02 AM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My rod shop that did the work gave me the components to order for the transmission. It is now on the floor with park closest to the seat and reverse next to the dashboard. They had to engineer the linkage and mounting, but it looks and works good. There is no indicator so that is a drawback, but I know where the detents are.

Comment

Bud Fox, Is there some sort of lock/trigger on the park position, so that it cannot be disengaged accidentally?

Congratulations on still Studebakering at 83 years young!
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-29-2022, 07:39 AM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
          X