How come? Cam bearing trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: How come? Cam bearing trivia

Watching Roadkill Garage, they are building an aftermarket SBC, and found out all the cam bearings are the same size. I never thought about it, but why do most engines have different sized bearings?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

So they can be installed from the front?

Comment

After rebuilding hundreds of engines every thing from Farmall tractors to R2 Studebakers I can say that the Chevys are a PITA to install . Much easier to have a few thounds wiggle room: when installing the cam. I am sure it was cheeper for Chevy to make them all the same size and at the factory they had tooling to perfectly install the shells. Its a bit tougher out in the real world. DMc

Comment

Having smaller bearing sizes as you go down the block makes it easier to install the cam. Smaller bearings like Studebaker used also limit the amount of lift that is possible. Trying to get good lift on the Studebaker requires a really small base circle.
        David L

Comment

Not just cam bearings; some engines, the old Chevy Stovebolt six comes to mind, have different size main bearings. We often bore them all the same and use later bearings.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

OK, this all makes sense. They did have a time installing the bearings and the cam
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
              OK, this all makes sense. They did have a time installing the bearings and the cam
              Did they do a decent job of bearing installation or the normal Roadkill approach. I've put more cams than I can count in SBC's over the years without any problems. There's good ways to do it or you can make it difficult if you want. I enjoy Roadkill and Roadkill Garage but I don't depend on them for precise installation procedures.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

Did they do a decent job of bearing installation or the normal Roadkill approach. I've put more cams than I can count in SBC's over the years without any problems. There's good ways to do it or you can make it difficult if you want. I enjoy Roadkill and Roadkill Garage but I don't depend on them for precise installation procedures.

Bob
                They roadkill garaged it. It ran, at least for a little while!
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                  I've put more cams than I can count in SBC's over the years without any problems. There's good ways to do it or you can make it difficult if you want.
                  For true, Bob. My machinist installs SBC cam bearings and the cam in less than five minutes while drinking coffee and complaining about big government. It usually takes me fifteen minutes, making sure the oil holes are lined up.

jack vines, who knows complaining about government is a waste of breath.
                  Last edited by PackardV8; 07-13-2022, 09:40 AM.
                  PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                  X