Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retainer clip hangs up inside Dual-Master Cylinder; remedy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Retainer clip hangs up inside Dual-Master Cylinder; remedy?

Ah, kind of mistitled (any way to edit titles??). Should be the retainer WASHER.. though that guide clip got mashed in there too, FROM the washer.

Hi, using the Turner Dual-Master Cylinder kit. 57 GHawk and original plunger with "ball" end as shown below (Photo 3 & 4). Bleeding my brakes (yet again), I noticed reduced stroke (like 3/4" or less). Removing boot, I could see the "guide clip" AND washer were jammed inside the bore, preventing full retraction of the cylinder.
    This happened on the other MC I tried too (if you might remember in this 2 yr saga, I ruined one trying to "stop the weep" at fittings.)

What seems to be happening is the plunger ball pulls completely out of that little four-pronged guide clip, and then on subsequent strokes falls low enough to push the washer into the bore instead of actually pumping any brake fluid. Presto, jam. (Photo 1)

Now before you say "impossible, plunger doesn't retract that far", remember I'm working on a bare chassis; there is no floorboard to prevent the pedal-spring from pulling the brake pedal ALL the way forward "into the car", and pulling out of the M/C. (and, my kids may be guilty of PULLING it out helping me bleed the system; now I will be more careful).

QUESTION: before I bolt it back on and re-bleed it, would I be prudent to bend those little clips in a bit more, so they ride closer to the shaft of the brake plunger? (Photo 2, back to normal). Are modern car's plungers just a cylinder, without that ball-end? Be a dickens if ever needed to pull the M/C off someday, but until I get a body on, would help keep that guide ring on the shaft.

Only reason I ask and don't "just do it", wondering if there NEEDS to be some extra play there (plunger isn't perfectly perpendicular?). And I just need to be super-careful to not retract that pedal too far until I have a body on there to keep that from happening.
    OR, as often happens, am I missing the real problem?

Click image for larger version  Name:	jammed retainer washer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	1950581 Click image for larger version  Name:	MC retainer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	1950580
    Click image for larger version  Name:	brake plunger.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	1950582
    Click image for larger version  Name:	MC side view.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.2 KB ID:	1950583
    Thanks!
    Barry
    Last edited by bsrosell; 07-07-2022, 06:58 PM.
Working...
X