Rear main seal, 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Rear main seal, 289

Just bought a '62 GT Hawk and the previous owner said to be sure to replace the oil drain plug gasket because it was leaking. Oil was dripping right off the plug so it looked to be the problem. I did an oil change and put a copper gasket on the plug, still leaked. Did another change and put on a fiber gasket, cleaned all surfaces and used oil resistant liquid gasket just to be sure. Still leaks! I'm thinking I have a bad rear main seal instead. Question: is the oil level in the pan high enough that the rear main seal will leak when car is sitting, or should it only leak after a drive? Mine seems to be leaking without going anywhere.

More than likely you have a oil pan gasket that needs replacement. You can do it in a Hawk from underneath the cork shrinks over time.

Comment

If you wipe the rear of the Pan clean, then check later, you WILL know if it is coming from ABOVE the Drain Plug or not.
      It is still possible that the Pan has been damaged around the Drain Hole and the surface is not flat enough for your Gasket to work.

Over Half of the Studes. I have owned or worked on, had the rear of the Oil Pan crushed from Jacking the Engine from the Wrong place. Sometimes they are bad enough to hit the Oil Pump Pickup Screen!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• TN GT Hawk
        TN GT Hawk commented
        Editing a comment
        Pan appears in good shape as does area that the drain plug gasket contacts. Not sure why I didn't think of the pan gasket but hopefully that's it. WIsh I could DIY it but due to vertigo, undercar work now has to be farmed out to the local shop, assuming you can get them to work on a Studebaker. Looks like they will be doing a full dual exhaust, all 3 motor mounts, pan gasket / oil seal, and freeing up a stuck parking brake. Hopefully she will then be road ready.

I thought I had a bad rear main seal several years ago and it turned out to be that stupid rubber hose that connects to the oil pressure gauge line. And it was nearly new. Oil ran down and looked like it was coming from rear main.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
        I thought I had a bad rear main seal several years ago and it turned out to be that stupid rubber hose that connects to the oil pressure gauge line. And it was nearly new. Oil ran down and looked like it was coming from rear main.
        Thanks for the tip, will check that out. I would love to find out it is anything but the rear seal, can't fix myself and don't trust local mechanics who have never worked on anything this age and not likely to follow the instructions I will hand them from the factory manual.

Comment

Working...
        X