No announcement yet.

Correct Radiator for 1962 GT Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Correct Radiator for 1962 GT Hawk?

I have a 1962 GT Hawk. Just spent almost $400 having the radiator re-cored. I bought new hoses and spent the day putting everything back together then noticed the hose, which is marked as the "upper hose for a 1962 Hawk" doesn't fit. The upper spout on my radiator curves to the right. I've since looked at other 1962 Hawk's and the upper radiator spout goes straight back. So the question is. If I have the wrong year radiator in my Hawk does anyone know where I can get a hose that is formed to fit it. The part number on it is 1543113 and the spout coming out of top that would connect to the hose coming off the thermostat housing instead of coming straight back, it curves to the right so the hose I bought for a 1962 Studebaker Hawk, doesn't fit. Could you take a look at the pictures and advise? Thanks in advance. Richard

Top outlet should go straight back.
    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB23E5F9-FB5D-4DDA-ADDE-749107BAE42D.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1949617

Hopefully this helps.
      "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Which side is the lower outlet located on? It should be on the right (passenger) side. If it is on the left side, you have a 56J radiator, which should be a 3-row core.

Comment

• Richard Horton
          Richard Horton commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks to everyone. I understand it should go straight back. (The lower hose connects to the passenger side of the radiator, no problem there.) The upper outlet in my radiator that's in my 1962 Hawk curves towards the left fender and so I'm thinking if I bought an upper radiator hose for a 1956/57 Hawk this would be the easiest solution. Easier than taking the radiator back to the shop and spending another $100.00 to have them put on a straight pipe. Comments? I'll go look at hoses for a 1956/57 now and see if they have any "formed" to fit. Thanks

It looks to me like it curves to the left ! But in any case it should go straight back.

Comment

The shop that did the re-core job should be able to fix it.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

1956/57 Hawk radiators had the upper hose connection that curves towards the left fender.

Comment

• Richard Horton
              Richard Horton commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks to everyone. I understand it should go straight back. (The lower hose connects to the passenger side of the radiator, no problem there.) The upper outlet in my radiator that's in my 1962 Hawk curves towards the left fender and so I'm thinking if I bought an upper radiator hose for a 1956/57 Hawk this would be the easiest solution. Easier than taking the radiator back to the shop and spending another $100.00 to have them put on a straight pipe. Comments? I'll go look at hoses for a 1956/57 now and see if they have any "formed" to fit. Thanks

The formed Hoses are made Special for our Studebaker Parts Wholesaler in Australia, so you probably will not find one Locally.

The '61 to '64 C and K Body Top Hoses require 5 1 /8 Inches cut from the Radiator End, but of course with the Wrong Radiator that won't work.

The 4 Bolt '53-'60 C&K Water Outlet (Thermostat Housing) has a Higher profile and different angle 90' not 45' than a '61-'64 like the 2 Bolt one you would have, and they normally are not interchangeable.

All Studebaker Vendor Hoses are "Formed".

https://studebakervendors.com

A Radiator Shop SHOULD be able to replace a Inlet Tube without charging $100.00 if the Re-core was their's.

Your 1543113 Radiator is from a '57 Silver Hawk.
            IF you had excess to a '56 to '60 Stude. Complete Water Manifold and a '53-'60 C&K & Hawk Water Outlet, a '57 Hose and your '57 Rad. would be a Set that fits.

I could sell you same, but with Shipping to MI, would cost more than the Radiator Repair.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-01-2022, 10:51 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211022_143459.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1950863 You could try a 56 Golden Hawk upper hose, they use the curved upper radiator outlet. It would be the least expensive solution.
              Last edited by bezhawk; 07-10-2022, 09:51 AM.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Just take it out again ,take it back to the radiator shop, and have them install the correct outlet.

Comment

Working...
                X