No announcement yet.

OD operation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Reverse also has the greatest mechanical advantage of any of the gear selections"

this is what I was looking for with a conventional (non-OD) tranny. Seems there are 2 opinions. Anybody care to mechanically define "why to" on a steep hill ? Just for input, I always pull out the P-brake before selecting "P" with an automatic for obvious reasons.

Comment

First gear ratio will be around 3:1, while reverse will be around 4:1. So the vehicle will be even more (25%?) unlikely to move on its own when in reverse. And although both will probably will work well, I was taught to leave it in reverse when facing downhill and leave it in first when facing uphill. The engine certainly won't run on its own when it's going backwards.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
        First gear ratio will be around 3:1, while reverse will be around 4:1. So the vehicle will be even more (25%?) unlikely to move on its own when in reverse. And although both will probably will work well, I was taught to leave it in reverse when facing downhill and leave it in first when facing uphill. The engine certainly won't run on its own when it's going backwards.
        As mentioned in post 13, I learned it this way, and have been doing it so long I do not recall where I learned it from. I have a perfect place to test the way others here say they do it, and will do so. Having been inside a few OD transmissions, I am well aware of the spray and how it works. With the reverse lock out rail, guess I just never thought about its possibilities. Whether reverse works in either direction will be interesting to note, but I will probably continue to do it as I have been though, too old to change now. The ratio differences between reverse and first are a good point though.

UPDATE: I just now checked the Owners Manual in all three cars, 62GT, 63Gt and 56J, and none of them mention using the OD transmission, in any way, as a parking brake assist. I was thinking I had seen that info there, but apparently not.
        So, absent any guidance or instructions from S-P Corporation, it's not possible to say which method is correct or incorrect. Unless someone else has a source?
        Last edited by JoeHall; 07-05-2022, 05:51 AM.

Comment

All the preaching in the world about parking on a hill up or down, first gear, reverse ,wheels turned in to the curb block under the wheel is meaningless to an oblivious person or a person who doesn't understand the concept. I lived in a hilly city during my teen years and every day on the news there was a car that rolled uncontrolled down a hill. Applying the hand brake selecting reverse and turning the wheels into the curb was a way of life, however it still happened on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
            ....meaningless to an oblivious person or a person who doesn't understand the concept.
            In my opinion, that is the crux of many issues that crop up on this forum. Many folks do not understand how their cars work. They just want to drive their cars and have no concept of what is going on inside of the various mechanisms and systems involved.

Understanding how things work and how they interact with each other and the driver is key to keeping them running properly and repairing them correctly/efficiently when they break.

Many of my posts attempt to illustrate/explain how things work. Whether they have any positive effect or not is hard for me to judge.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post

In my opinion, that is the crux of many issues that crop up on this forum. Many folks do not understand how their cars work. They just want to drive their cars and have no concept of what is going on inside of the various mechanisms and systems involved.

Understanding how things work and how they interact with each other and the driver is key to keeping them running properly and repairing them correctly/efficiently when they break.

Many of my posts attempt to illustrate/explain how things work. Whether they have any positive effect or not is hard for me to judge.
              Well put, I think we are on the same page. I met a young fellow who wanted a vintage car and he said
              "I would love to polish up the hub caps and drive it"

Comment

I found the following in FORDification.com, and it is the only operator level parking instructions I have found anywhere: Parking is the other situation that pulling out the OD cable is necessary. If you park pointing downhill and put the shifter into first, second or third without pulling out the cable, the forward motion will freewheel over the engine and the truck will roll away. There is no compression lock. To overcome this you can either pull the OD cable out or place the shifter into reverse.
                In order for any OD transmission to back up, the freewheeling clutch MUST be locked out. There is a shaft/rod built into the transmission that automatically accomplishes this whenever the transmission is put into reverse. So to park safely (set the brake) and then either pull out the OD cable OR place the shifter into reverse. This locks up the driveline and prevents all rolling.

Comment

So all that does is reiterate what "Most" of us have been saying all along, the BEST Plan has been and always WILL be, just always Park it in Reverse, does Not matter if you are headed Uphill or Downhill, in O.D. or Out.

Many times, the Simplest answer is the Best.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    So all that does is reiterate what "Most" of us have been saying all along, the BEST Plan has been and always WILL be, just always Park it in Reverse, does Not matter if you are headed Uphill or Downhill, in O.D. or Out.

Many times, the Simplest answer is the Best.
                    There does not appear to be any official operator instructions, so no right or wrong. There are several ways to park the car and use the motor's compression to assist the parking brake, but apparently it's not even necessary, since there are no instructions. 'Simplest' and 'best' are subjective here. I will continue to do it as I have since high school.

Btw Rich, if serious about this statement, apparently you have never driven an OD equipped Stude. LOL: "NO WAY is Low Gear going to stop the Car going Uphill IN O.D. or even Downhill ! "
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 07-14-2022, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X