Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 1963 Lark and the Dana 27

hey all ..

wondering if Jeep etc spider gears will fit my Dana 27 in my 63 LArk ??

stude ones are tricky to obtain

thanks

Click image for larger version  Name:	59-64 Diff.2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.8 KB ID:	1948501 If your Lark has a V8, I would invest in a complete Dana 44 Swap, the 27 is marginal with a 2 Brl. 259 and Overpowered with a 289.

The Parts Interchangeability probably would be about whether or not it Has Twin Traction, finding the parts for those would be harder.

Looks like you May need a 1550291 for Standard Axles, Only about $120.00 Complete at Studebaker Vendors.

OR, a 1548652 for Twin Traction.
    They are Only sold in Complete Kits.

https://studebakervendors.com
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-18-2022, 08:58 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you decide on a 44 rear end you will also need the shorter driveshaft that goes with it. ..

Comment

Type 44's are plentiful in the states but might be hard to locate in NZ. Did you communicate with SI or Stephen Allen? Shipping would be brutal.

Comment

I must say that I have driven many thousands of miles in V-8 Larks with type 27 rear ends and never had a bit of trouble with them. Had lots of V-8 Larks with type 44 rear ends also so I know the difference. But I never felt a strong need to change a 27 to a 44. I guess I must just drive them easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
            I must say that I have driven many thousands of miles in V-8 Larks with type 27 rear ends and never had a bit of trouble with them. Had lots of V-8 Larks with type 44 rear ends also so I know the difference. But I never felt a strong need to change a 27 to a 44. I guess I must just drive them easy.
            True enough. It all depends on how aggressively one drives.

When Studebaker brought out its 232 V-8 in 1951 they used the Dana 44 rear, which was really overkill behind 120 horses; but then, everything in the Studebaker drivetrain was overkill; from the block, the forged crank and pistons, the T86 or DG200 transmissions and the rear ends.
            I think they realized they could reduce weight AND expense by going with the Dana 27 behind the 180 HP 259 V-8 in the Commanders.
            The thing is, once you start riding behind more than 200 horses, I don't care who you are, you really get the urge to whip them once in a while. And that's when the heavier rear end gives you comfort.

And, if leaving rubber deposits on the pavement isn't dipping in to your wallet, you don't want a 27.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

thanks all,

its seems these kits are quite few and far between .. (D44's here are as well ) h

Has anybody looked at the Jeep D27 kit and if it will in the Lark Dana 27 ?

Comment

I once had a 59 Silver Hawk that was a 6 cyl. It got a 58 Golden Hawk engine and being young and dumb, I left the type 27 rear end in it. Actually didn't really have trouble with it and certainly did not pamper it!

Comment

I may be the luckiest guy in the world. I've been driving Studebakers for 60 years and never really had a RE issue, that I can recall. Admittedly I have never run a Dana 27 behind a 289, but I'm about to try. Rich would say that it's because I drive like an old woman. There is more truth to fiction regarding that representation. But this old man doesn't have the juices remaining to roll around on the floor to fix something, that probably wouldn't have been broken in the first place, if I hadn't reverted back to my youth.

Comment

Working...
                  X