Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator

The radiator on my 66 Commander/64 clone is in need of replacement. Does anyone have anyone have any ideas on where to get one? How about recoring the original? The car has a 289 flightomatic/air cooled.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Just had the one for my 53 recored in Asheville,NC. Cost was around $400,which I thought was high but around here you takes what you can get.It was a first class job with the best materials he could get.My top tank was so thin he even had to weld another tank inside mine.I will be happy to get you the number for the shop if you want it.Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I had two recored for under $500(total)and upgraded to 3 row instead of 2 row.

Comment

I had my 55 recored with a 4 row about three years ago for around $265 but it has probably gone up since then.

Jim Caldwell
        "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

Comment

Thanks Guys, I figured that recoring was the way to go. I will look into it locally, Central IL, and see what current costs are.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I dont feel so bad now as I know the materials went up and mine is upgraded to 4 row.Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Did the shop have a problem finding a four row core?? I don't think Stude ever offered a four row in production.

Comment

Years ago, when I was selling air tools and spray equipment, I called on the company whose link I'll include here. I was surprised to find that they made radiators for many major racing teams. The president of the company proudly stated that he had tank patterns for about any car I could name. I have a full radiator core that he provided for a lark I installed an air conditioner in. They are pricey, but one of the best. I don't know what their scope is these days, but you might want to check them out. http://www.griffinrad.com/index.cfm
                My last experience with them was in the late 1980's so if anyone else has had more contemporary dealings, please share.

John Clary
                Greer, SC
                SDC member since 1975
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by nels

Did the shop have a problem finding a four row core?? I don't think Stude ever offered a four row in production.
                  The only issue was the way the fins in the core were folded.It is different than the stock one but unless you are looking for it it is not noticable.The 4 row core fit with no problem.Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X