Rear Axle assembly 1955 Wrap Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear Axle assembly 1955 Wrap Commander

Seems when I disassembled this rear end to replace outer axle seals along with brake restoration that I found "thin tan paper gaskets" between the rear axle/brake plate/reinforce plate in various locations.
    I don't find these thin gaskets listed anywhere for sale,

Another question is the use of sealant at the end axle components?
    yes/no?
    exact type of sealant if yes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate10_2PaperGaskets.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1943159
    Last edited by Craig; 05-07-2022, 10:38 AM.

I'm not sure if the vendors sell them or not, I always make my own. The problem is finding thin enough material. I normally use just plain brown wrapping paper. As far as sealant, I'll spray the gaskets with Copper Coat or similar, but don't use any sealant like Permatex Form-a-Gasket or RTV........but that's just me, I'm sure plenty of folks use all kinds of different stuff.

Oh yeah......DO NOT put any grease or never seize on the axle/hub taper when you put the drum back on.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Found this on an internet search. Looks like some are pretty close but you would need to verify fitment. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...m=IGRE&first=1 The images have part numbers.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I am planning to use a non-setting sealant at these joints, maybe Three bond or Hylomar AF.

Comment

Working...
        X