Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Dana 44 noise/ clunking

Hi....
    I did a search and found out that the correct diff oil will get rid of some diff noises.
    I think I have a TT diff because i cant fit my finger into it

My question is....
    When I turn slowly I can feel the diff pinching and clunking, so would the correct oil get rid of that too?
    Usually feel it more turning right.
    or is it something else to do with the correct shim spacing or more?
    I am just using off the shelf Limited Slip diff oil
    ...cheers
    Last edited by 1960Hawk; 05-03-2022, 12:46 PM.

so it must be clutch chatter im feeling ?
    https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....011#post393011

what modern diff oil would someone recommend?
    any of these ok
    GULF WESTERN OIL GEAR LUBE GL-5 85W-140
    GULF WESTERN OIL LOW VIS GEAR LUBE GL-5 75W-90
    Penrite PRO GEAR GL-5 75W-85 (Full Syn)

Last edited by 1960Hawk; 05-03-2022, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• StudeRich
      StudeRich commented
      Editing a comment
      Either of the 2 is Fine, but you do NOT need over 90 Wt. in a CAR Diff.

So this IS a "Twin Traction Diff." ?
    It may need the Limited Slip Additive then, GL5 is not the end game, just the start.
    That is because, not ALL Limited Slip Diff's. have Friction Clutches.

If you do not KNOW what is in it, best to drain and refill with good quality Valvoline or other, GL5 and the Friction Modifier Additive.
    Of course if after that, and a short drive, it is still noisy, that might be some amount of wear or damage and a problem.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• 1960Hawk
      1960Hawk commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it is a TT diff.
      Can't fit my finger past the filler plug...
      And I've noticed on my boot two holes on the left hand side for the TT badge?

After you change the gear oil, and put in the friction modifier additive, take it to a big parking lot and turn some tight circles to the right, then to the left.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

• 1960Hawk
      1960Hawk commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks...Will do

The lube will say on the bottle if it is meant for limited slip differentials. Jeep used a Dana diff. and they sell or at least used to sell, an additive. If you feel a binding you've got to have the ring and pinion set up again or at least checked to see if they are adjusted correctly. It is easy to tell if it is a Twin-Traction or not. There should be a tag on it. If it has been removed. Jack up one wheel; if you can turn it easily, it is not limited slip (or it is one that is sick) Are your U-joints dry?

Comment

I remember having the correct R/A lube and GM limited slip additive in a 63' Hawk that skipped/chattered when turning corners. Drove the car for 1000's of miles. Was told by the town dealer that some of that was normal or acceptable unless worsening with miles. Never had to open it up. Just "my" experience.... not real advise.

Comment

Might need to replace your flats and clutches if an oil change don’t do the trick. Remember, everyone used the Dana 44 in everything. Parts should not be unobtainable

Comment

Working...
        X