Wheel cover fly-off with Ford or Chrysler wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Wheel cover fly-off with Ford or Chrysler wheels

A fellow Greater Va Chapter member is looking in local wrecking yards for Chrysler or Ford 15" wheels for his restored '63 Lark Custom 2-dr. He is an originality person, but, for safety reasons, wants to put radials on Ford or Chrysler wheels, either 15x5.5 or 15x6".

So, the question is what are members' experiences with Studebaker wheel covers flying off on the highway (with either the Chrysler or Ford wheels)? Is one worse than the other for that problem?

I am aware that one should check the wheel covers before each trip to make sure they haven't rotated and that they haven't loosened. I do that on my Studes. Bensherb made a good suggestion in a recent thread to glue small blocks of aluminum on either side of the stem to prevent wheel cover rotation.

--Dwight

I had Crown Vic wheels on a previous Lark. Late 70's I believe. I easily lost 3-5 covers. I tried to bend the tangs out to "grab" better to the rim with no real help. Some here have tack welded spots on the sides of the rim with some help I believe...

Comment

I never had any problems with wheel covers coming off of the Vic wheels, either with or without the blocks bonded on, with either the '62 Hawk covers or the '53 covers.

I have had them come off of my restored, stock '54 Chevy, (original wheels with original size bias WWW tires) on the rear under the fender skirts. Trust me, not something you want to have happen! Destroyed, cover, skirt, and tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
        A fellow Greater Va Chapter member is looking in local wrecking yards for Chrysler or Ford 15" wheels for his restored '63 Lark Custom 2-dr. He is an originality person, but, for safety reasons, wants to put radials on Ford or Chrysler wheels, either 15x5.5 or 15x6".

So, the question is what are members' experiences with Studebaker wheel covers flying off on the highway (with either the Chrysler or Ford wheels)? Is one worse than the other for that problem?

I am aware that one should check the wheel covers before each trip to make sure they haven't rotated and that they haven't loosened. I do that on my Studes. Bensherb made a good suggestion in a recent thread to glue small blocks of aluminum on either side of the stem to prevent wheel cover rotation.

--Dwight
        Dwight..........only one answer.........use truck/steel valves!!

Comment

An old trick is to line the rim where the clips fit with Duct tape. The reason they come off with radial tires, the rims flex more than they do with bias ply tires.

Comment

Working...
          X