1951 Transmission Shifter / Linkage issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1951 Transmission Shifter / Linkage issue

My 1951 Champion w/3 spd OD has a sloppy shifter. I have to carefully pull the column-shifter fully up towards me before starting any vertical movement in order to successfully shift into 1st gear or reverse. Then, I have to again, make sure I pull the shifter towards me again, before moving the shifter vertically to make a shift, say from 1st to 2nd.

If I am not very careful, the shifter seems to loose it's internal connection to the shift bracket and then the hand shifter just flops about. I can usually work it back into position, but sometimes I have to stop the car and manually align the shift-brackets on the column within the engine compartment.

While the shifting column moves just fine, It seems the 1st/Reverse shift bracket at the engine end of the column is somehow loose -- see the difference between the two photos attached. This is the improved state after I readjusted the shift levers under the car. The movement in that upper shift lever was greater. Shouldn't that lever stay next to the housing? Am I missing a bushing, or retaining pin somewhere?

Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter disengaged.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1939115 Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter engaged.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1939116

There are two pins, 0759-11, that locate and retain the shift levers in the box. When I had mine open I found both pins well worn. If the pin for the 2nd - 3rd lever was worn through or missing it could look like that. They're just 1/8" x 1-1/8" dowel pins.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-08 135849.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1939122
    3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Just rebuilt mine (actually, my sons) 51 Commander w/3 spd & OD had a sloppy shifter. Took the column out to find exactly what you have. Cleaned it up and added 1/8-inch gauge pins as well as a new internal linkage pin. Had to smash the end of the 1/8-inch pin to stop it from sliding through. On yours, a quick fix would just be to put in a new 1/8-inch pin in the top hole while the shifter is like your first pic. Your 2nd/3rd shifter pin is poking up a bit, might want to tap that one down while you at it.

Comment

The Commander I had some years back exhibited the exact same symptoms. If you haven't replaced the Rubber Bushings around the shift rods from the box to the transmission, DO THAT NOW. Takes 4, and will generally solve the problem after careful adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Corbinstein0 View Post
          The Commander I had some years back exhibited the exact same symptoms. If you haven't replaced the Rubber Bushings around the shift rods from the box to the transmission, DO THAT NOW. Takes 4, and will generally solve the problem after careful adjustment.
          Actually, only two on the '51/'52, at the transmission levers. No bushing at the linkage box end.
          3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Thanks for the correction. I think mine may have had just 2 as well....

Comment

Working...
            X