Let the wife drive the hawk today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the wife drive the hawk today

When she got back we went for a ride to the amish market, I noticed that the car pinged at high speed. I asked her if she put high test in it and she said yes. If the timing is set and there is no pinging ten all of a sudden it is what could be the problem? It's got to be the gas right?

I know she did ot do anything to it. She is a very good driver and does not dog a car.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

i have noticed my 51champion dosn't do well with gas/10%ethanol mix.

james d thornton

Comment

It must have been a different Brand or watered down gas, not fresh or something like that if it wasn't Mid-range instead of Premium 92/93.

If it has points in the Dist. the gap (dwell) could have changed from wear on the rub block or a loose screw, affecting the timing.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

StudeRich, I am running a pextronics system. My car was restored last year everything new.The first few times It happened I reajusted the timing however right now I am right on the mark, is it possible some regular rmained in the line? Is there another adjustment I can make to stop the pinging or is timing the only way out.

Studebakers forever!
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

It may be the gas. I find Exxon regular detonates in both the 56J and my v-6 Mustang. I usually use BP regular and never any problems.

Comment

I had a 69 GP that had about a 10.5 to 1 comp ratio. It was very sensitive to gas and timing settings. If I bought Sunoco at the station in town it would ping...out of town it wouldn't. No guarantee that the gas that' pumped is high test even though you paid for the best. See what happens on the next tank.

Ernie R

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

There is not much else to do, but I would look at the Spark Plug condition, there are charts to tell engine condition based on them, but obviously if they are black & dry = too much fuel, very dry and White COULD be too lean.

Your Carb. may be contributing to the problem.
              If I recall correctly you used the slightly oversize 600 CFM, Edelbrock with big valves and headwork and a cam, right?
              The thing is, I don't think too rich will cause pinging!

quote:Originally posted by studelover

StudeRich, /Cut/ Is there another adjustment I can make to stop the pinging or is timing the only way out.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich

Comment

A can of octane booster would tell you if it's the fuel. Sure makes the snowblower bark.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

StudeRich I have the head work and the cam however I used a 500 carb. Like I said it only does it sometimes I have run the car very hard. I have had it up to 115 and no ping. I think it is the gas. I will take a look at the plugs tomorrow morning they can tell me something. Would a change in plug heat range make a difference?

Studebakers forever!
                  Studebakers forever!

Comment

If your gas checks out ok, I would check ignition total timing at 3000 RPM. Then check the plugs for running lean. You may have to re-jet the carb. I use a pyrometer for this.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

/Cut/ Would a change in plug heat range make a difference?/Cut/
                      It could, these custom builds are kind of trial and error.
                      StudeRich

Comment

Well, ran the car until it was out of gas and put 93 in. Took it on the beltway ran though the gears and no ping. Pulled the plug and no soot, dry and grey. I got some bad gas in there, now that it's out everything is back to normal. I wonder how often this happens? A person has a new build and gets some bad gas then starts replacing parts readjusting carb,timing all to find that it's something else. I am glad I did not panic. The car ran great before she took it and now it's back to normal. I really like this hawk, this summer I hope to take it on some very long hauls, I might have to take my own gas Truck as well.

Studebakers forever!
                        Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
                        X