No announcement yet.

Kickdown problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Rerun, my manual is clear as mud on this subject. To increase the foot pedal travel Should i adjust the clevis on the bellcrank-to throttle valve lever? How much of the telescopic rod would i need to see extended to be close to accurate?

Comment

You should have enough pedal travel to fully extend the linkage rod. The rod "bottoming out" is what should limit your pedal travel. The first thing to do would be to determine why you are running out of pedal travel too soon.

What is actually stopping the pedal? Is it hitting the floorboards before fully extending the throttle rod? If so, it could be that your motor mounts are bad and the engine is too low. Since the linkage is attached to the engine, and the pedal is attached to the floor, this could be a source of the problem.

Has the floor been repaired? The pedal could be mounted out of position.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '78 Avanti II
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

StudeRich did mention the mounts, they're original and look to be mushroomed out with cracks all around. The rear mounts are fine. The floor is stopping the pedal before the rod extends at all ,all original no repairs ever done to the floor, so i'll get new mounts in before i go any further. I appreciate all the input that everyone has provided me on this, it's a very frustrating problem. You have all been great. I'll get back when i get a few more things done. Thanks again.
        brianC

Comment

I would recheck the bellhousing mounts... often those are even worse off than the fronts, because of oil leaks. if the bellhousing mounts are soft, that could easily explain what you're seeing. Also make sure the 1/2" spacer is present under the driver's side mount.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
          X