Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the pinion yoke dimensions for Model 27 axles used in Studebakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: What are the pinion yoke dimensions for Model 27 axles used in Studebakers?

I am messing with a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, setting it up for off-road wheeling. Put a lift kit in it, and quite unsurprisingly the ball & race style CV joint at the axle end of the front driveshaft disintegrated. I pulled the cup-style pinion yoke off the axle today and measured it up. OD where it contacts the seal is 1 9/16", depth of spline is 1.5", 26 Vee-shaped splines, and OD of the spline on the pinion shaft is 1 1/8", with the threaded end being 3/4" diameter. Axle is a Spicer 30F. U-joints are 3 1/4" face of cup to face of cup, not the Mechanic's grooved style. Pinion nut is 1 1/8" hex.

This sounds awfully like the yokes used on Stude model 27 axles, but I don't remember the spline style or count. I do remember that the yokes used on T86 and T96 transmissions had fewer square-cut splines.

Anyone here have any familiarity with these parts? I will hit some of the local junkyards, as there are a lot of variants in front driveshafts for various Jeep models.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
Working...
X