Lower Control arms / 55 K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Control arms / 55 K

I need a right (passenger side) lower control arm for a 55 commander K-code. Phil at Fairborn sent me a pair of beautiful used arms (last ones he had), but there seems to be a 1/4 inch problem on the right arm. The inside clearance where the shaft fits is 10" on the driver's side arm, but 9 3/4" on the passenger side. I could take an eighth of an each off each side flange where the bushing would seat, but I can't imagine why there would be this difference. They are not bent in any way. All measurements are right on except for this one. Could I find a shaft that's 1/4" shorter, or take some off my old shaft? They look like they came from the same car. Am I missing something? Will the arm spread another 1/4"? Are there different sizes? Later Hawk? Avanti? Lark? Champ? Anyone have a pair to fit my 55? Thanks, all. You guys are my lifeline.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

I have a nice pair in my stash and just measured them to be a smidge under 10" from flange to flange. I think if you look at yours closely, one has to be bent a bit and can be straightened using a variety of means. Considering the gauge of the steel used to make these, I wouldn't worry about damaging them.
    Once mounted on the crossmember and the cap bolt and washer are tightened to spec, the bolt, washer, inner bushing sleeve and the shaft become one with the main crossmember and the rubber isolates the control arm from the the chassis. There is no sliding movement between the shaft(pin) and bushing, so the parts do not work like a hinge. The only allowable movement is based on the stretch of the rubber, which is why you wait until the car is loaded on the floor before tightening the cap bolts.

Bob Johnstone
    www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Back some time in the life of those arms someone replaced the bushings and didn't use the proper tooling to support the arms. I have seen some that were crunched in more than a half inch. Until you put a tape on them you would never know the difference.

Comment

Thanks, Bob and Alan. I'll see if I can get someone to try to spread it back out. Otherwise, I'll be searching for another one. They look great, otherwise and the car is ready to go back together (Yippeee).
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
        X