• Show
Clear All

• bronze 289 valve guides

Does anyone have a source for these?

Reviving an early Lark
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Precision Engine Parts in Las Vegas, but there is a 50 piece minimum order.

Comment

Well, looks like I need 2 more people who need these before I place an order. Anyone?

Reviving an early Lark
      sigpic

Comment

I buy them 64 at a time, if you were in the Los Angeles area I would press out the old ones and install new bronze guides for $5 apiece.

Comment

The question is WHY? They may be self lubricating Bronze, but also very soft, how is that going to last long term and control oil burning?

I never had a problem with cast iron guides, the only issue is people doing valve jobs and even rebuilds and NOT changing them! [:0]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Aren't all modern valve guides bronzed? -meaning endurance wise, they last for a long time.

Alan, since you have much experience with them, I was wondering what your thoughts were for these bronze guides on non-high performance engines, such as longevity? Also, do you have a preference for non-umbrella type seals, such as positive type and if so what ones do you use?

I am planning my next rebuild to include bronzed guides based on Alan's recommendation on a different posting that they really help to prevent guide wear and oil burning through the guide -which seems to happen rather quickly with iron guides and pathetic umbrella guide seals -meaning I drive my Studebakers daily and put mileage on them and would like to NOT have this problem occur shortly after rebuilds.

Best Regards,
              Eric West
              "The Speedster Kid"
              Sunny Northern California
              Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
              And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
              55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
              55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
              Best Regards,
              Eric West
              "The Speedster Kid"
              Sunny Northern California
              Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
              And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
              55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
              55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

I used Technovance in CA for custom bronze guides for Lotus 907 motors
                Chuck

Comment

Eric,I have found that in Hi Performance use with chrome valve stems they have a longer life and are already machined for teflon seals. At $3.95 apiece for bronze and $3.50 apiece for the iron guides there is not much difference price wise. When Mike brought me his head a couple of months ago the machine shop had broken all but one of the iron guides trying to push them out, they are very brittle. If you run a turbo and they brake inside the engine you can kiss a $800 turbo goodbye. It is your money, your decision.

Comment

Working...
                  X