WMS for 54/55?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: WMS for 54/55?

I might just be terrible with the search feature, but I can’t seem to find the WMS measurements for a 55 Champion.

I know the Ranger 8.8 is close, but does anyone have an exact WMS measurement?Click image for larger version

Name:	44455B88-1325-456C-975D-1DA1A40196A6.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1928164

I'm not sure what the acronym "WMS" means.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-14-2022, 03:55 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

WMS is "wheel mounting surface".
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        WMS is "wheel mounting surface".
        Ah. Thank you.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Mounting Surface Diameter? Does that really Matter?
          If the wheel is a 4.5 Inch Ford/Chrysler Bolt Pattern with the Proper Backspace, it SHOULD work.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No, WMS is the outermost axle width. (D on the picture below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	079E2C0A-C645-47A1-BE24-29608F508B8B.png
Views:	217
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1928204

Comment

AH! So Now we are talking about a Differential, NOT a Wheel, that's the thing with poor Post Titles.

The Red "Rear Axle" is a catch all, Standard Post Category Title word, not a Poster created Title that people pay attention to.
              A tapered Axle like a '55 Champion Dana 23 would not have an Axle Flange to Axle Flange measurement.

The "Housing" Flange measurement on a Stude. would be another animal than an AXLE Flange on a Flanged Axle.

What really matters for fender Fit, is the WHEEL Centerline measurement with proposed Axle Assembly and Wheels.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is it really a poor title when WMS is a standard automotive measurement and normal terminology? All axles will have a wheel mount surface, and all axles will have a measurement from one side to the other.

I have found some additional information that says 58.25”, 58.5” or 59”

Comment

I suspect one of the problems here is that we have had a small, but continuing, problem on this forum with vague and/or non-descriptive titles on posts -- so we're sensitive to the issue. But BTW, I have looked through some of my Stude truck specification books, and the WMS term does not appear anywhere. "Tread" is the measurement that is given most of the time. I have always assumed tread is either the same as the WMS or the distance between the center lines of the tires. So maybe the problem is generational.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Maybe the problem is with WMS; what is that, William's ? Why not just use language as intended and write "wheel mounting surface" so everybody knows what you're talking about? I've built dozens of chassis over the years for three different shops and have never heard or seen the idiom "WMS" before this thread. I have however encountered this problem on other forums in writings by millennials, who are evidently too lazy to actually write what they mean and use initials for everything assuming everyone reading it knows what they mean. THEY DON'T ! Ok, I'll yield the soapbox now.

Comment

In that case, I’m glad to have taught you all something.

tread and centerline is variable based on the wheel offset. The WMS is the fixed width of the axle from one mounting surface to the other and is a better determination of axle width.

When looking to swap axles, the WMS is the most important measurement to start with. For instance, I could be looking at pulling the factory tapered axle Dana 27 for an aluminum center section disk brake Dana 44 with a factory trac lock out of a ZJ grand Cherokee, but the ZJ axle has a WMS of 60.5 and would likely be too wide to use without shortening the tubes and shafts. Early Isuzu Rodeo and Amigo have a 58” WMS with lockers and 4.10 gears, but are 5x5.5 bolt pattern and would need modifications to match 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

Before I can explore axle swap options I would need to know the factory WMS to determine if the wheels I want to run will fit with the swapped axle.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by mkbruin; 01-18-2022, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Mk, I do not know about a 55 sedan. I have or had a number of 53-54K's and none of them were exactly the same. They measured between 56 3/4" to 57 1/2" so I have Currie build all housings for my 9" to 57" all were 41 1/2" center of spring perch to perch.
                        Last edited by Alan; 01-25-2022, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkbruin View Post
                          Is it really a poor title when WMS is a standard automotive measurement and normal terminology?
                          Perhaps in automotive engineering inner circles.
                          Yours is the first I've seen the acronym in my 72 years.
                          Now, if the title said "axle flange to axle flange width" I doubt even the least informed would be at a loss.

Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks Alan, that’s exactly the information I was looking for.

Comment

I knew exactly what he was asking...but I'm past 75 I spend far more time on an old style hot rod site and the problem of rear axle width comes up often so it was not a new term to me plus he was obviously asking about a replacement rear axle assembly and having the correct (or close) width is pretty important.

Comment

Working...
                              X