Radio for a 59 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio for a 59 Lark

I am looking for a radio for a 59 lark. The Audi radio that came with my car sticks out like a sore thumb.[8D]

If you want FM, check out Custom Auto Sound.

Custom Auto Sound = http://www.casmfg.com/Studebaker.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

[B)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I am looking for a factory radio

Comment

quote:Originally posted by TroyN

I am looking for a factory radio
          Or you can get an AM radio and an older FM converter. Or have an AM radio converted to AM-FM. Or you can get an AM and listen to a lot of talk and christian radio.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Troy, Factory AM radios come up regularly on ebay for very reasonable prices... it's the factory AM/FM ones that will kill your bank account.[xx(] I have a suitable radio, but the shipping to you would be more than it's worth![:0]

Remember that a radio that fits a Champ pu will also fit your '59 Lark. Good Luck.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

The NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009; check it out at -
            http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Thanks for the Help. I will look on Ebay. My lark is my first Studebaker and I am finding that I having so much fun finding parts, and just driving my car that I have a feeling I will be buying another one to go with my lark.

Comment

Troy, the most common way these days is to put a nice-looking stock radio in the dash (or a factory block-off plate) and mount a modern stereo in the glove box, or under the seat. That gives you the best of both worlds- nice original look, and your favorite method(s) of in-car listening.

It's my personal favorite[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I would avoid Custom Auto Sound (out of Fullerton, California). They don't stand behind their warranty. I've purchased 2 of their units and ahd problems with both. The first unit was for a older Chevy truck and the second was for my Hawk. The first unit quit working about 4 months after it was installed and the second unit quit this past summer just a few months after it was installed. I sent the Hawk unit back to them and was told it had quit due to water damage. I pulled the unit apart and didn't see any water damage but did see mold spots on a piece of cardboard that was inside the radio.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

[B)]

Tom -
                    You know Tom, there IS a click box at the bottom of the new post box to exclude your signature on multiple posts, I think one GIANT red ball and THREE medium sized pics of a project, per topic is probably plenty...just a friendly suggestion in case you did not know!

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Speaking of radios, does anybody out there have for sale, an original am radio and all the stuff to mount it for a 61 Lark?
                      Also, is there a way to rig a hidden antenna so I don't mess up my car? My car did not come with a radio, just a delete plate and I don't want to drill holes in the fender for an antenna.

David G. Nittler
                      David G. Nittler

Comment

You could check the JC Whitney Catalog to see if they still sell the stick on the Windshield antenna.

It is not hard to drill down through the fender and through cowl with a hole saw to get into the left door post, for the antenna installation though.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by drnittler

Also, is there a way to rig a hidden antenna so I don't mess up my car? My car did not come with a radio, just a delete plate and I don't want to drill holes in the fender for an antenna.
                          Dakota Digital sells an electric antenna. The electric is
                          for an amplifier, not to go up and down. It's supposed to mount inside the car...

Dakota Digital = http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd105.htm
                          Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I totally agree that you should stay away from the Custom Autosound radio. I bought one a few years ago for my '59 Lark and am extremely dissappointed in it. Terrible reception, except for nearby stations (FM). The AM is totally worthless. Save your money and try to pick a stock radio at a Stude swap meet. That's what I did.
                            Good luck.
                            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I'm fortunate to have the original Philco in my Bullet nose. There must be a site that sells original Philco's. The AM reception is fantastic. I am going to install another one under my seat for cruising tunes, and have the ability to play CD's, not MP3's. The only challenge will be to rig up a 12 volt power supply to it considering my '51 is still 6 volt.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X