Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blue55
    replied
    thanks bob-i'll give you a call next week. from what everyone is saying i think i just want to get rid of those ii's entirely

they just keep following me home

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    Blue have you tried Studebakers West in Redwood City? They might have something, I live in Castro Valley and have a nice 66 cruiser parts car engine and trans are gone along with the seats and door panels, you will never see floor pans and nice and new looking as these, I don't think it has the large drums on it in the rear but will look and see, you can call me any time on my cell 510-266-2522.....Bob

Leave a comment:

• blue55
    replied
    its definately 11 inch drums on the car-flanged. the 66 cruiser was a power brake car too if i recall. it sat untouched at gilleys in placerville for years, aside from someone removing the chevy frame mounts.
    i got the hood and grilles at a swap meet in Sacramento, the hood supposedly came from cole cutlers bonneville car-it is reinforced down the center, and has no way to put the stock latch assembly on. I like it because it is the only hint to the uninitiated that it is not just a champion six-although the exhaust should warn people also. I basically was going for a "what if a moonshine runner ran a Studebaker" look

Leave a comment:

• Studeous
    replied
    Very SHARP looking car Blue. I like the results of your front end changes and the hood safety pins.

Middle TN Show in Shelbyville TN April 4th 2009

Richard Burks
    Middle TN
    53s
    57 Transtar

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    Blue are you sure that you have a flanged axle? not all 65 and 66 cars came with one and this late in time anyone could have changed it over because the flanged ones are hard to come by, also most brakes on the rear of disk brake cars were 10" and not 11" at least all that I have remove and believe me I have removed a few. Good luck I have only had one that I needed to cut the drum and lose the shaft.

Leave a comment:

• blue55
    replied
    my henry j has a straight axle, but isn't really high. i didn't want an excessive nosebleed front end. i live in the hills, and neede some kind of stability.its higher than stock, and lets you know its there, but not in your face.

Leave a comment:

• clonelark
    replied
    I have 3 Henry Js and one of em was an old race car with a straight axle it had a front crosmember that was dropped about 9" the headlights were about 4 to 4 1/2 feet off the ground. i cut the cross member out and still have the front axle (early ford i think), I like my cars low to the ground.

clonelark

Leave a comment:

• blue55
    replied
    i must admit that i wish i would have kept her stock- i like the 55 sheetmetal, and the 259 ran like a top, but i made these decisions years ago- pre internet for the masses- but i had tranny problems with no resources to fix, got a deal on the sheetmetal, and had a really nice regal champion hardtop that i put the 259 into, and she gained all the parts needed to go back on the road. and i still have my first(of 18) Studebakers i've owned. as to the 327 4speed combo- no regrets once i get the rear end issue squared away, put exhaust on her, i will be ready to drive her again for the first time in 10 years.- then i get to finish the straight axle henry j

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by borracho

car looks ok but you put a chevy in it? I bet you're the type to put a straight axle under a Henry J too!
    Considering that Studebaker did indeed install McKinnon AKA 283 SBC's in their 1965-66 models and I am not even going to touch on post Stude Avanti's (can someone say 327's, etc)----------I have no heartburn repowering a vintage Stude with a SBC [^]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• borracho
    replied
    car looks ok but you put a chevy in it? I bet you're the type to put a straight axle under a Henry J too!

Leave a comment:

• blue55
    replied
    Thanks for the help. here's a picture of her. I changed all the shhetmetal over years ago, to mt regret now, but i still have her. she has a 327 chev and a 4 speed now

Leave a comment:

• blue55
    replied
    thanks- i think i'll just transfer the 55 brakes over to the flanged axle and have the best of both worls- i was wondering about those 7/8' wheel cylinder kits i got.

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    yes, disc brake cars had completely different brakes than the drum brake cars. You'll need 10" drums for a flanged axle, unless the ones from your old tapered hubs can be used (not sure) and you will want to transfer the 10" backing plates etc. over from your old axle.

If you leave the "disc brake" rear brakes on the car, your brakes will actually be *front* biased - even though they're larger in diameter, they're the older, non-self-energizing brakes to compensate for the higher line pressure required for a given brake torque for the front discs. Now that's not a horrible thing; it's better that the fronts lock before the rears, but you won't get the same braking power that you would simply by using the '55 brakes. Plus, it's easier to find parts for the '55 brake setup...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• 5brown1
    replied
    I have an identical 66 cruiser which I have parted out and still have the whole rear end. I didn't attempt to get the brake drums off and if you exhaust all other possiblities I would get them. The car had about 65,000 miles. I sold the front disc brake set up and the rotors were still in good condition so I assume the drums will be also.
    You can email at brownsl3@pie.midco.net
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• blue55
    replied
    i pulled the complete car out of a wrecking yard in placerville about 8 years ago. it was a 66 cruiser 4 door with disc brakes and a 283 automatic. the car was all original.Are those 11 inch drums. I can put the original rearend back in, i just don't like the tapered shaft axles, as i plan to drag race the car. can i transfer the backing plate and drums off my original rear to this one?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X