66 cruiser replacement brake drums needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 cruiser replacement brake drums needed

hi folks ima a newbie to the forum here so bear with me. My name is Eric and a have a 55 president i am trying to get back on the road. i have a twin traction rear from a 66 cruiser i would like to use, but the brake drums are so frozen that the only way i will be able to remove them is to destroy them. any help on getting replacements, or if anyone knows about using the jeep drums on bob johnstones page,-help. This rear end came off a disc brake,283 car.

they just keep following me home

quote:Originally posted by blue55

hi folks ima a newbie to the forum here so bear with me. My name is Eric and a have a 55 president i am trying to get back on the road. i have a twin traction rear from a 66 cruiser i would like to use, but the brake drums are so frozen that the only way i will be able to remove them is to destroy them. any help on getting replacements, or if anyone knows about using the jeep drums on bob johnstones page,-help. This rear end came off a disc brake,283 car.

Your rear drums should be 'slide offs' like a modern vehicle.

Have you tried some strong penetrating oil like PB Blaster? Soak it around the wheel studs as well as where the drums fit around the axle flanges. Let it set for a few hours than take about a 3 lb sledge and whack around the studs. Soak again, let it set then strike again.

Sooner or later your drums will come off (we hope).

If nothing works then it is time to get rude and smash them as you alluded to.

As for a source for new drums; try http://www.studebakervendors.com/ as a start

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

your right- they should slide off, but are rusted solid. i have tried heat,,pb blaster, lightly beating it, beating the crap out of it, jacking up the car by the bottom of the drum while applying heat and beating it, gently cleaning around the flange with a blade, and have simply managed to break a chunk off the outside. any tricks would be appreciated. I have never seen a drum this stuck.

Comment

Will your drums wiggle a little if they do not the drum is rusted to axle.If it does cut the retaining pins on back of backing plate so shoes are loose then they should come off. Ibelive the drums are hardto find. Doug M

Comment

Blue55, I have a pair of used 10" rear drums for flanged axle cars,they came off a 65 Cruiser.

email, jzeiger3@yahoo.com

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

You wouldn't be able to use the drums anyhow. They are 11", non self energizing brakes...made ONLY for the rear of stock 63-66 disc brake cars.

You need the standard 10" drums and backing plates that were made for 54-66 drum brake cars.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Anyway this rear end was originally from a '64 or earlier model? I know the rear end in my Daytona isn't original to it. Just a thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

i pulled the complete car out of a wrecking yard in placerville about 8 years ago. it was a 66 cruiser 4 door with disc brakes and a 283 automatic. the car was all original.Are those 11 inch drums. I can put the original rearend back in, i just don't like the tapered shaft axles, as i plan to drag race the car. can i transfer the backing plate and drums off my original rear to this one?

Comment

I have an identical 66 cruiser which I have parted out and still have the whole rear end. I didn't attempt to get the brake drums off and if you exhaust all other possiblities I would get them. The car had about 65,000 miles. I sold the front disc brake set up and the rotors were still in good condition so I assume the drums will be also.
                  You can email at brownsl3@pie.midco.net
                  Steve

Comment

yes, disc brake cars had completely different brakes than the drum brake cars. You'll need 10" drums for a flanged axle, unless the ones from your old tapered hubs can be used (not sure) and you will want to transfer the 10" backing plates etc. over from your old axle.

If you leave the "disc brake" rear brakes on the car, your brakes will actually be *front* biased - even though they're larger in diameter, they're the older, non-self-energizing brakes to compensate for the higher line pressure required for a given brake torque for the front discs. Now that's not a horrible thing; it's better that the fronts lock before the rears, but you won't get the same braking power that you would simply by using the '55 brakes. Plus, it's easier to find parts for the '55 brake setup...

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

thanks- i think i'll just transfer the 55 brakes over to the flanged axle and have the best of both worls- i was wondering about those 7/8' wheel cylinder kits i got.

Comment

Thanks for the help. here's a picture of her. I changed all the shhetmetal over years ago, to mt regret now, but i still have her. she has a 327 chev and a 4 speed now

Comment

car looks ok but you put a chevy in it? I bet you're the type to put a straight axle under a Henry J too!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by borracho

car looks ok but you put a chevy in it? I bet you're the type to put a straight axle under a Henry J too!
                            Considering that Studebaker did indeed install McKinnon AKA 283 SBC's in their 1965-66 models and I am not even going to touch on post Stude Avanti's (can someone say 327's, etc)----------I have no heartburn repowering a vintage Stude with a SBC [^]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Comment

i must admit that i wish i would have kept her stock- i like the 55 sheetmetal, and the 259 ran like a top, but i made these decisions years ago- pre internet for the masses- but i had tranny problems with no resources to fix, got a deal on the sheetmetal, and had a really nice regal champion hardtop that i put the 259 into, and she gained all the parts needed to go back on the road. and i still have my first(of 18) Studebakers i've owned. as to the 327 4speed combo- no regrets once i get the rear end issue squared away, put exhaust on her, i will be ready to drive her again for the first time in 10 years.- then i get to finish the straight axle henry j

Comment

Working...
                              X