Hill Holder Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hill Holder Question

I'm restoring my Avanti which originally had a Hill Holder. It had been totally removed and discarded. In the re-installation we realize that we do not have any data on the hydraulic plumbing attachments. In the manual we see two lines entering/exiting the Hill Holder, one goes to a Tee connector into the main brake line to the rear of the car, the other just shows the line going forward, but does explain it's termination. Does this line just go directly to the Master Cylinder? If so, does the Tee fiting then become the feed for the front brakes also? The Hill Holder has a third line fitting which shows itself to be plugged in the Manual, but in a generic Studebaker manual it shows a line attached but again does not show termination. Anyone here has the answer?

Ba-da Boom

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...5smbrapp2b.jpg

Bob Johnstone
    www.studebaker-info.org

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Charles, if you go to the SDC homepage, go down to tech tips in the left column, go to SDC Studebaker Templates, you"ll find AC 3343, which is a copy of Avanti Hill Holder installation instructions. Dave Mottle will send you a copy for $2.00. Dan

Comment

Thank You, Bob and Dan. My copy of AC-3343 is on it's way. Wonder why the Avanti only used one of the Hill Holders outputs and distributed thru a line tee, yet the Studebaker Hawk used both outputs to the separate front and back circuits. Would the front Disk brakes on the Avanti react that differently to a direct line instead of the distributed pressure thru a tee?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HNCadet

Thank You, Bob and Dan. My copy of AC-3343 is on it's way. Wonder why the Avanti only used one of the Hill Holders outputs and distributed thru a line tee, yet the Studebaker Hawk used both outputs to the separate front and back circuits. Would the front Disk brakes on the Avanti react that differently to a direct line instead of the distributed pressure thru a tee?
          I think that is the reason. My '64 Wagonaire with disc brakes and Hill Holder only holds the rear wheels.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

You will also need the actuating linkage that connects the clutch pedal linkage to the hill holder, unless they didn't take that off - which would be odd.

========================
            63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
            Martinez, CA

Comment

My '63 Avanti had a hill holder that only functioned on the rear wheels. I never researched why not the front brakes but I assume it had something to do with the discs brakes on the front. Perhaps a proportioning valve wasn't effective or in widespread use.

Jim C.

Jim Caldwell
              "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

Comment

Working...
              X