170 OHV carburation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 170 OHV carburation

I'm still waiting on the correct main bearings for the Black Bart Special, (190" OHV 6) so I decided to play some more with carbs for the project. I put a Stromberg WW on the old engine, and have driven it some. I must say that although throttle response is better, and it revs higher that I ever got with even a properly rebuilt RBS, it is way too rich, and it appears there is no easy way to lean it.

I'm thinking along several lines: a Carter BBS from a slant 6 should bolt right up, be somewhat close in jetting, but it does not have an integral automatic choke. I could (and may still) go with a manual choke. The BBD is a 2 barrel version, but the smallest thing it was put on I think was a 273 Mopar, so it may be rich, and it does not have an integral choke. A mid '70s Jeep/AMC 1 barrel Carter (forgot the designation) was used on a 232 and has an electric choke, but I hear it is not such a good carb. I tried a Holley 1 bbl from a Falcon several tears ago and found it was worse than an RBS. I thought about a Carter AS, some people seem to like them, but The Old Carb Doctor doesn't like them much. (he likes the BBS and BBD, but had no answer for a choke) Other carbs seem to have linkage or other issues that make then less than ideal.

Weber? Forget it. Sure you can jet them as you like, but they wear shafts quickly and all you can use is that darned ugly rectangular filter. I want something that looks somewhat stock.

So what does this group think is a good choice?

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Maybe the 2V carb used on the 225 Super Six?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

225 Super six? Whos is that? A mopar slant 6? That'd be fine, my only concern is that it's been so long since I had a manual choke, I'd be an idiot and leave it choked all the time. Is there a way to convert from a Mopar style choke to an integral one?

Ron Dame
      '63 Champ
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

My brothers 79 CJ5 with the 258 Had a 2barrel.
        No idea what it was. The Jeep was run hard and traded in later.

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28

59 Lark
        etc

Comment

I had a '61 slant 6 in a Lancer, after a couple of years the choke stopped working and I drove it until 73 with no choke. I don't know where you are, but Ohio's winters didn't give it any problems. I got in the habit of stomping the gas pedal twice and turning the key. Started every time.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

There was a 2-barrel version of the Slant Six made in the 70's, using a BBD. I had that setup on my '67 Dart back in the day. You'd have to make an adapter to bolt that carb to a Stude manifold though obviously. I think MoPar just cast a new intake for the "Super Six." (heck, they even had a "Hyper-Pak" with a 4bbl although that might be overkill for a 185...)

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

There was a 2-barrel version of the Slant Six made in the 70's, using a BBD. I had that setup on my '67 Dart back in the day. You'd have to make an adapter to bolt that carb to a Stude manifold though obviously. I think MoPar just cast a new intake for the "Super Six." (heck, they even had a "Hyper-Pak" with a 4bbl although that might be overkill for a 185...)
              Original Mopar Hyper-Pak kits were for the 170 but many ended up on 225's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
                ill for a 185...)
                Original Mopar Hyper-Pak kits were for the 170 but many ended up on 225's.

[/quote]

The Hyper-Pak, from what I understand, is overkill for pretty much everything except racing

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I already have the adapter, since I've got teh Stromberg WW on it. It's just that teh Stromberg is tough to cfind jets for and hard to change jets in. A BBD would be good, except for teh choke.

I don't know if a BBS or BBD will do OK without a choke ( as per Tom) but the truck really wants some with teh RBS or even the Stromberg.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

What's the problem with the choke on the BBD? Or you just don't want a manual choke cable? I do recall that my 225 was a little cold blooded until I got the choke adjusted properly.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

It's been so long since I had a manual choke car, I wonder how long I'd drive with the choke on while being pissed about the milage! Mopars don't have an integral auto choke. The thermostat is inside a well in the exhaust manifold, with a rod running up to the carb. I don't know if you could rig that to work on a Stude manifold, Nate.

What's the problem with the choke on the BBD? Or you just don't want a manual choke cable? I do recall that my 225 was a little cold blooded until I got the choke adjusted properly.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

While this primarily looks at Hyper-Pak linkage, it does mention the linkages used on other Slant Six engines including the Super Six with 2V Carb. By the way, if I remember correctly, the Hyper-Pak used a 350 CFM Carter AFB.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/hyp...ak-linkage.htm

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

What Mopars or other makes used the BBD and BBS. The first swap meet of the season is in about six weeks so I plenty of time to pack away a few dollars for a new/better? carb.

FWIW: I never could get the choke to work right in a series of AS and RBS carbs so I either had to set the chock under the hood before starting or pump it a few times and let the carb butterfly act as the choke. The LArk would eventually start on all but the coldest (usually -20 or lower) days.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
                          The Replacements.
                          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                          The Replacements.

Comment

Interesting discussion, the first car I learned to drive on was a 1969 Dodge Dart with the 225 ci slant six with a "3 on the tree". Although I love Studebakers, I would have to rate the slant six as one of the best six cylinder engine ever made. My brother (16 months younge) also learned to drive on this car and we ran it hard and long, we didn't have a tachometer in the car, but flat out the gearing of the 3 speed and rear end allowed you to max out at 95 MPH on flat ground and the engine didn't sound like it was wound up that high. Apparently it had a reputation for indestructibility .... see short Wikipedia article on Slant Six engines at the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slant_Six

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
                            sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386
                            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

My first car was '61 Valiant with a 170 slant 6 and 3 on the floor (from the factory, even). Having never driven a 225 or 198 SS, nor a hyperpack 170, I must say the 170 SS was as underpowered as the Stude 170 OHV.

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

Interesting discussion, the first car I learned to drive on was a 1969 Dodge Dart with the 225 ci slant six with a "3 on the tree". Although I love Studebakers, I would have to rate the slant six as one of the best six cylinder engine ever made. My brother (16 months younge) also learned to drive on this car and we ran it hard and long, we didn't have a tachometer in the car, but flat out the gearing of the 3 speed and rear end allowed you to max out at 95 MPH on flat ground and the engine didn't sound like it was wound up that high. Apparently it had a reputation for indestructibility .... see short Wikipedia article on Slant Six engines at the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slant_Six

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ
                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                              X