Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone cut a new tie rod boot and zip tie it on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: has anyone cut a new tie rod boot and zip tie it on?

mine are fossilized and it's just hanging there, can i cut a new one and would it stay on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201127_125047.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1917315

Originally posted by mw2013 View Post
    mine are fossilized and it's just hanging there, can i cut a new one and would it stay on?
    I don't think a homemade boot would effectively keep water and dirt out of the tie rod end. Why not just get some new boots (available from our Studebaker vendors)? Pop off the tie rod ends, put on the new boots, and bolt back up.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

not homemade but the ones from the vendors, it's the popping stuff off i want to avoid, right now the reach rod is missing them and the ones on the rods, don't do much either to keep crap out

Comment

Tie rod end pullers are available for less than 20 bucks, why would you want to cut a new boot and try to hold it on with a tie wrap? You can even get loaner pullers from the chain auto parts stores.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Tie Rod End Puller.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	1917322
        Your car, your money, your time...................
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

If the boots have been gone for a long time, the tie rod ends may need replacing anyway.

JT

Comment

Well, I will be the contrarian here. You could do that, and it would work out OK, since the boots are basically umbrellas, and not any sort of positive seal. If you use new boots, you could coat the cut edges with gel Krazy Glue, and darn near make them whole again. Those pullers are nice; I have one. But you can also slack off the nut until it's flush with the end of the stud, place a BFH on one side of the eye, and whack the other side of the eye with a smaller hammer. Pops the stud out of the eye by the same force vectors that enable you to "shoot" a watermelon seed.. Way faster than the puller, and does no harm to the eye, other than superficial ding marks. I have done it hundreds of times.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

• mw2013
              mw2013 commented
              Editing a comment
              the reach rod "umbrella" is missing on both ends and the tie rod to me drive surprisingly fine, with hardy any rubber left ( i have pulled the umbrellas off and put them back in already so i say what the heck is the difference, i am not a purist, the car is far from it, still much better that when i first got it by miles, if i take them out i would have to get new ones just for the trouble of taking them off and frankly i am not going thru the trouble, not for the rest of the year at least, but would not mind a little extra prevention from further deterioration.
              Last edited by mw2013; 10-23-2021, 12:41 AM.

even NAPA has these on the shelf......... a pickle fork can work too if you have one. Will you be checking the tie rod ends ? Do you know how ?

Comment

no i don't know how to check them they don't rattle or anything, right now too lazy/busy to take them apart, perhaps next spring , i am here in los angeles and never see a NAPA

Comment

I have one of those things and have yet to make it work. Pickle fork and 2 lb hammer does it every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                  I have one of those things and have yet to make it work. Pickle fork and 2 lb hammer does it every time.
                  I have one just like the tool on the right side of this set, works easily, and doesn't damage the tie rod end or the boot:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Front End Tools.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1917477
                  I've got a pickle fork, but don't remember the last time I used it.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

OR, better Yet, 2 Big Heavy Hammers works every time without cutting the Boot with a Pickle Fork!

With the Nut removed, Back up the Levers the Tie Rod Ends go into, Hard on one side, and them slam it 180 degrees away with the other BFH! The Tie Rod will fall out.

But I have the Solution for the PROBLEM; those poor umbrella, Hat shaped Boots, use the "Extended Life Lubrication" Type Boots: 1562914 used on '64 to '66 Models, not the 530202 '47 to '63 Seals.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-23-2021, 01:59 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Remember back when you bought a new car and it did not have any Zerk fittings? They figured you'd trade it in in 2 years and factory grease would last that long. So when you took it in to be serviced, you had the little extra cost of 12 Zerk fittings along with the oil change and lube. Just figured they were saving the cost of Zerk fittings--not much on one car but a dozen fittings on a million cars adds up. If you are removing tie rod end, you are probably replacing it along with that rubber boot. So a whack with a hammer and a pickle fork isn't going to hurt a rubber boot that should be replaced anyway. That's a beautiful set of pullers---much cooler than mine!

Comment

Working...
                      X