Fuel Pump(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel Pump(s)

I have a '49 2R15 truck with a 170 motor. I bought it a few weeks ago. It came with a Mr. Gasket fender mounted electric fuel pump. I would like to use the original. I removed the pump that was mounted on the block and found a replacement at O'Reilly's for $52, it looks just like mine. It doesn't work, the arm is too short. I have the bigger motor as a spare and the pump on that, with the wiper motor port, has the longer arm. What is the correct pump for my truck? The wipers on my truck operate from the vacuum tube connected to the intake manifold. Thanks

Originally posted by miketakes View Post
    I have a '49 2R15 truck with a 170 motor. I bought it a few weeks ago. It came with a Mr. Gasket fender mounted electric fuel pump. I would like to use the original. I removed the pump that was mounted on the block and found a replacement at O'Reilly's for $52, it looks just like mine. It doesn't work, the arm is too short. I have the bigger motor as a spare and the pump on that, with the wiper motor port, has the longer arm. What is the correct pump for my truck? The wipers on my truck operate from the vacuum tube connected to the intake manifold. Thanks
    There are several variations of the pump for the 170 truck engine depending on when it was built. The larger wiper vacuum assist pump you have is from a Commander 226 or 245 inch engine. The best investment you can make is to get the parts and shop manuals for the truck you have. Reprints are available from several sources.

Comment

The new pumps that are being made and sold today do not work. They need more lift than the camshaft in the engine can give it.

Best bet is to find an OEM pump and rebuild it.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
        The new pumps that are being made and sold today do not work. They need more lift than the camshaft in the engine can give it.

Best bet is to find an OEM pump and rebuild it.
        Matt, What am I missing here? The new pump I bought for my 6 cyl. 1963 Champ works perfectly.

Comment

There should be a 3 or 4-digit number stamped on the flange of the pump, at least on the old one. That will ID what pump(s) you have.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Matt, do your folks sell the rebuild kits (diaphram)?

Comment

Working...
            X