Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried Xenon conversions in their Studes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not convinced that HID lamps are any kind of improvement. They throw a big pool of blue-white light NEAR the car, but they seem to scatter badly, especially in fog or snow. They may give the user the illusion of more light, because his immediate foreground is brilliantly flooded, but that just makes his pupils contract, making it harder to see distant hazards.

And they are definitely less friendly to oncoming drivers.

FWIW, my '96 Suburban, with composite headlamps, has poorer lights than my '88 Suburban, with 4 rectangular sealed beams, and the '64 Daytona, with 4 round sealed beams, has a slight edge on it. The test being how far a distant sign post can be seen.

I'd second N8's suggestion of the E-code halogen lamps, if for no other reason than they are less objectionable to the eyes of oncoming drivers, since they put more of the light on the road, and waste less scanning for low-flying owls.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

What Gordon said. "Real" HID headlights may be better, but they're pretty expensive and require a fair amount of mods. And they certainly are more annoying to oncoming drivers. There are also some aftermarket lights that are basically just standard headlights with a bluish tinge.

The E-code halogens are still a big improvement over standard or halogen sealed beams, and only require the addition of a relay (or 2) and new wiring from the relay to the lights. I mounted the relay right behind the radiator, and used the existing wiring between the switch and the relay.

IRT Michael Chernago's question, I have been running E-code halogens in an Avanti II, a 64 Daytona, and a 62 Chevy for about 25 years. No problems.

And I'll echo what Gord said about the modern composite headlights. I think they're more about styling and maybe aerodynamics than lighting.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
      X