• Show
Clear All

• poweroptions
    replied
    Thank you very much.

Leave a comment:

• gjamesk
    replied
    That diagram is Plate 13-5 on page 255. Sorry but someone else will have to answer your other questions.

Leave a comment:

• poweroptions
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. I went thru my Chassis parts manual and never saw this diagram. What page was that? Wonder how hard it is to remove the column jacket? Now that I went out to the garage and located the brush contact ring and terminal. I understand now I was looking in the wrong place all afternoon. To service the attachment of the horn contact wire to the contact ring one must remove the column jacket? I can't find info in the service manual regarding how to.

• gjamesk
    replied
    I have no direct knowledge of this, but looking in the Chassis Parts Book, I see something called a Brush, Cable Contact Ring low on the side of the power steering column jacket.

Leave a comment:

• poweroptions
    replied
    OK 4 hrs later and I am still at a loss. Where in the heck does this horn wire come out at? My replacement wire has a male end on it. I see no hole in the round domed end on the gear box. I see no wire protruding anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• poweroptions
    commented on 's reply
    Roy I did not mention I have power steering. Does that make a difference? Two hours later I still can't find where this wire is to come out of the gear box.

• poweroptions
    replied
    I have now spent 2 hours trying to find this wire . I failed to mention I have factory power steering on this 54. Does that make a difference? I pulled my front tire and looked behind the rain shield. I have been re-enacting Helen Keller, feeling all around and nothing. I wish the manual would have included this somewhere. I have gone thru all 3 manuals and I can not find a picture of this. My contact is very snug and there is no play pulling on it. I can only force it down against the spring.

Leave a comment:

• poweroptions
    commented on 's reply
    Roy thank you. I was looking under the hood behind the box. You are always spot on. The wiring makes me nervous because I have NEVER rewired a car before. The 54 is nearly done this is the last big hurdle. I have the dash board out on my work bench because my back and neck don't allow me to work laying down on my back anymore under a dash. The steering column hopefully will go back together as this is something I had never tackled before either.

• RadioRoy
    replied
    It comes out the bottom of the steering box. If it is bent over at the bottom of the box, it will not come up easily when you pull on it from the top.

Leave a comment:

• Steering column rewire/ horn contact wiring

Now where does the wire run that attaches to the horn contact in the center of the steering shaft ? I have no play in the contact when I pull up on it. It is spring loaded when I push down on it. I have no clue where the wire runs to or thru. I was afraid of pulling on it since I don't know what I'm doing for sure and didn't want to break anything. The wiring is horrible in my car. Insulation has cracked off leaving exposed wiring. I have the whole new wiring set up from Larkworks. I can't find any information on this horn contact wire. TY AGAIN.
Working...
X