putting a 454 in my 49 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by bige

Absolutely, I bought a plastic 700R4 on ebay, did my mock up and then sold it again on ebay. Really makes things easy.

quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

Doesn't Summit or someone sell plastic versions of all of those engines, just for this purpose? Get one of those, and you will see what you are up against. You can pick them up with one hand and put them in and out.

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

What are some common clips I could use to upgrade my front end? Someone suggested an Aspen/Volare but i don't know what that is. I would like to find something common and most of all cheap.
      Also who's the best on price for parts? I need a wiring harness.

Dave Herbeck
      w_dave_herbeck@yahoo.com

Comment

Aspen/Volare are Chrysler corporation compacts from '70s and '80s. They made a mittfull of them.

Check on a few of the hotrod forums. Check eBay, and Craigslist.

I "think" Dodge Diplomat used a similar clip. Note we are talking RWD cars here, not front drive.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

One of the speed shops here in town has the plastic mock-up motors for "loan" if you leave a credit card #... Maybe they do near you also. You might want to look at an S-10 frame (readily available in a number of models) and ditch the entire 49 Stude frame. The S-10 can handle a big block with minor mods, then you would of course need to figure out how to adapt the 49 body to the frame, but who said hot rodding was easy?

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
          '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

There have been a lot of different front ends used like the volare, but they have been out of production for so long, they're getting hard to find. I just recently bought a 1940 Nash with a Pacer front suspension. It was a pretty clean installation, but parts, like HD sway bars, are impossible to find reasonably. So, I chopped it off and welded on a 92 Aerostar. Very common and has power rack and pinion, HD sway bar, disc brakes and five lug ford pattern.

Comment

Fatman Fabrication should have a front end kit. Mopar F & J body use a transverse tortion bar subframe that can attach as an assembly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

There have been a lot of different front ends used like the volare, but they have been out of production for so long, they're getting hard to find. I just recently bought a 1940 Nash with a Pacer front suspension. It was a pretty clean installation, but parts, like HD sway bars, are impossible to find reasonably. So, I chopped it off and welded on a 92 Aerostar. Very common and has power rack and pinion, HD sway bar, disc brakes and five lug ford pattern.
                Chrysler 5th Ave up till 1989 was the exact same animal as the Aspen/Volare.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Fatman Fabrication should have a front end kit. Mopar F & J body use a transverse tortion bar subframe that can attach as an assembly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Hard to tell; but does your car depicted have the Mopar F-M-J crossmember installed?

Why I asked is that would solve a bunch of problems in repowering a vintage Stude as in steering hassles, brakes, and I do happen to like the Mopar 318/904 TorqueFlite combo. As for the back: a 1965-66 Mustang V8 rear end with 3:00 gears would keep the highway revs down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Comment

Before you get too deep into finding an Aspen/Volare K member check the width of the track. Early Studebaker are pretty narrow and cars look dumb with the front wheels sticking out. The info should be easily available on line.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Mike, i'm a little confused. Are you making a recogmendation on the front end I could use? What is a "zip van"?

Dave Herbeck
                      w_dave_herbeck@yahoo.com

Comment

A chrome straight tube axle would be totally bad in a gasser like that. You can put disc on them plus a HD swaybar to help it handle. I guess another thing I don't like about the chrysler setup is the looks. Just too messy with the crosswise torsion bars.

Comment

Working...
                        X