Turn signals & brake lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Turn signals & brake lights

Hello gurus, before I dive into the deep end… on my 1957 Packard wagon my turn signals , brake lights and reverse lamps stopped working. I checked the fuses all ok. Any ideas where to look first? Thank you
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Hi Chip,
    I am replacing the whole front harness (whenever I am allowed to return to Arizona) due to compromised wire integrity (you touch it, it breaks) and the boys at Studebaker West made the harness for me.

Luck,
    Bill

Comment

Because you have lost all Lights that go to the rear, it almost HAS to be the disconnects from the Steering Column to the Main Harness under Dash that have been disconnected.

What about the Fuel Gauge, working or also Out?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

57 Packard;
        Did they all stop working at the same time?
        Question, do the front turn signals work? How about the front parking lights? Do the tail lights work.
        The back up lights (I do not believe) run through the steering column. They might run in the same wire harness to the back of the car.
        The next step would be to check for grounds and electricity at each bulb socket..
        Ron

Comment

Thanks for the hints! . Fuel gauge, reverse lamps, stop lights , and turn signals all went out at same time.
          now I checked today I do have tail lights, license plate light, front parking lights and headlamps. I’m going to check for bad grounds and connections at bottom of steering column. May be a ground issue as dash is fiberglass.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

I do not see Grounds having anything to do with your situation, if it worked prior to it quitting.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

May be those connectors? I’ll look tomorrow.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Well, Rich was correct! Poking around under the dash I found several bullet connectors had come apart. Presto! turn signals and brake lights have returned.! Thank you ALL!

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

You have to hear those bullet connectors "snap" just pushing isn't good enough, I also have had them come apart, some take a very hard push.

Comment

Just glad you were able to find the simple fix problem William.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes! You can’t imagine how good it felt just to have turn signals and brake lights again!
                      i certainly wouldn’t take the Packard out on the road without them working. So many people drive like they’re at LeMans around here these days.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Working...
                      X