Transmission starts in 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Transmission starts in 2nd

I test drove a 63 R1 Avanti W/Power Shift but it takes off in 2nd with the shifter in "D". Could this be an adjustment problem or something broken. I'm hoping it's not a B-W 2 speed.

That is what it is supposed to do. You can start in 1st by putting the floor shift in the "1' position
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

https://www.theavanti.com/transmission.html
      According to this Avanti article, that is normal in a Powershift unless you select 1 or apply full throttle.
      Shifting is explained about 2/3 through the paragraph.
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

There ARE NO Borg Warner 2 Speeds.

Most Studebaker Flight-O-Matic's and Power Shift's are Borg Warner 3 Speeds that start in 2nd. Gear.
        Only Trucks and 6 Cyl. Cars start in Low, and then "Dump" into 2nd. in 15 Feet.

Just think about all the "U" Joints, Differentials, Tire wear and Fuel you will save, not to mention Tickets!

AND, you get to start on Rain, Snow, Mud and Ice while others are spinning their Wheels!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-25-2021, 06:47 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Whew, thanks everyone. I thought they were supposed to start in 1st.

Comment

Paul -

1. Put the shifter into "L".
            2. Accelerate like getting onto the freeway, somewhat hard.
            3. At an rpm over 3000, shift into "D".
            4. As SOON as you feel the shift into second (2nd), carefully, shift the trans. back into "L" and continue to accelerate.
            5. As you get to a good rpm (3500 / 4000), shift back into "D".

There you have it, a 3 spd. Borg Warner transmission. It might be a little awkward at first, but once you do it a few times, it becomes easy.
            I used to do this all the time with my 59 Lark, 2dr wagon, while getting on the freeway. You will NOT...do any harm to the trans. I originally got the shifting technique from a guy that rebuilds these transmissions for side money, and has for many, many years.

Mike

Comment

But Mike, Paul has an Avanti with the "Manually Shift-able" Power Shift, so all he has to do is start in "L" and shift it Manually to accomplish what you did with the Flight-O-Matic a bit easier.

The Only issue is, if you happen to be in the Heat and Pressure of a real AHRA Drag Race, like Winter Nationals Champ Gordon Williams was, he Special Ordered his Super Red '63 Lark Standard 2 Dr. R1 & later R2, with a H.D. Flight-O-Matic, picked it up in South Bend and Drove it home to So. Cal, so he clearly preferred the "other Method" Mike and most of us used in the day.

He felt due to the short throw, short Stick with NO "Stops" the Floor Shift was too easy to miss a Gear, and it worked well for him. He always "Toasted" the Ford Fairlane Hi Po 289's.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 09-25-2021, 08:08 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                Paul -

4. As SOON as you feel the shift into second (2nd), carefully, shift the trans. back into "L" and continue to accelerate.

There you have it, a 3 spd. Borg Warner transmission. It might be a little awkward at first, but once you do it a few times, it becomes easy.
                I used to do this all the time with my 59 Lark, 2dr wagon, while getting on the freeway. You will NOT...do any harm to the trans. I originally got the shifting technique from a guy that rebuilds these transmissions for side money, and has for many, many years.

Mike
                I read how to do that in Hot Rod Mag and then proceeded to do it in my parents new '56 Pres. F-body. It would get rubber in all three gears. Took my cousins somewhere once, in later conversation with their dad they said the car had a manual trans because I had to shift it. Their dad asked my dad if the car had a manual trans. Well, the ole man knew exactly what was going on, so guess who got in trouble .....again!
                "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

This is one HELL of a forum. I know that I'm not the brightest star in the sky and you guys have helped me a ton.

Comment

Paul -

Mike
                    Mike be careful with your well intention-ed suggestions, if one does blow his trans do not be surprised if you are made to be the bad guy and legal actions ensues..just sayin.

Comment

I'm with Mike, because his advice is not new news; has been out there since Day One of the B-W automatic. However, if even a fraction of the questionable advice given on this and other fora resulted in legal actions, the courts would have been jammed solid long ago, every lawyer rich and the internet would be history.

I shifted my Powershift Avanti manually most of the time. It transforms a dog in traffic to one which can hold its own.

jack viens
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Mike be careful with your well intention-ed suggestions, if one does blow his trans do not be surprised if you are made to be the bad guy and legal actions ensues..just sayin.

Sorry Mr. Hawk...

This is a tried AND true technique, by MANY more than JUST myself..!
                        AND...done MANY years before it was recommended to me, and my learning how to complete the task. And as I mentioned, the gentleman that told me how to perform this task, rebuilds these transmissions and has for MANY years. I SERIOUSLY doubt that a "friend" would lead me down a proverbial catastrophic road.

If...you have any "facts" to share, you are welcome to. Otherwise, you may keep your "opinions" to yourself. JUST SAYIN..!

Now...this all said...yes, things happen, and IF a person completing ANY new task doesn't do a good job, in ANYTHING, bad things can happen. BUT, again, most any competent person should be able to shift a transmission three times without harm.
                        Hell, he could...do a very good job in this shifting technique, spin the back tires, do a loop and run into the Statue of Liberty. Yeah, I suppose there's a lawyer out here that might see the dollar sign. after this

Mike

Comment

Boy, I really want to see the guy that can run into the Statue of Liberty!

Click image for larger version

Name:	statue of liberty 2.jpg.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1913381
                          Gary Ash
                          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                          '48 M5
                          '65 Wagonaire Commander
                          '63 Wagonaire Standard
                          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Sorry Mr. Hawk...

This is a tried AND true technique, by MANY more than JUST myself..!
                            AND...done MANY years before it was recommended to me, and my learning how to complete the task. And as I mentioned, the gentleman that told me how to perform this task, rebuilds these transmissions and has for MANY years. I SERIOUSLY doubt that a "friend" would lead me down a proverbial catastrophic road.

If...you have any "facts" to share, you are welcome to. Otherwise, you may keep your "opinions" to yourself. JUST SAYIN..!

Now...this all said...yes, things happen, and IF a person completing ANY new task doesn't do a good job, in ANYTHING, bad things can happen. BUT, again, most any competent person should be able to shift a transmission three times without harm.
                            Hell, he could...do a very good job in this shifting technique, spin the back tires, do a loop and run into the Statue of Liberty. Yeah, I suppose there's a lawyer out here that might see the dollar sign. after this

Mike
                            My friend, I guess I touched a raw nerve?...........but in today's convoluted world I would not expect anything different. Last time I looked opinions were just that, opinions...........and as such no need for overt demonetization.That being said, in a perfect world you could very well be correct, but if there is one thing I have learned living over 70 years on this spinning orb, is always expect the unexpected.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                              I'm with Mike, because his advice is not new news; has been out there since Day One of the B-W automatic. However, if even a fraction of the questionable advice given on this and other fora resulted in legal actions, the courts would have been jammed solid long ago, every lawyer rich and the internet would be history.

I shifted my Powershift Avanti manually most of the time. It transforms a dog in traffic to one which can hold its own.

jack viens
                              Well Jack the lord be with you.............but let me just say the following.....................if by some crazy happenstance someone blows their trans............would you be the one to step forward and indemnify the sad aftermath??

Comment

Working...
                              X