Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Bearing Question (on front disk conversion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Quick Bearing Question (on front disk conversion)

FINALLY buttoning up the front end and installed the new bearing races (with the proper tool), bearings and seal on the new rotors; installed right hand side and give it a spin and it just keeps going... Lovely.

Right hand side, not so much. No noise or indication that there's a high spot but it maybe goes 2-3 revolutions before stopping (using an approximately same amount of force).

I've taken it off several times, felt around and nothing LOOKS or FEELS amiss but am wondering if anyone has some wisdom to impart? Is this a non-issue, maybe? Should I get new bearings/races/seal and start over?

Thanks,
    Jimbo
    -James

The grease should stop the rotors from spinning in less than 1/2 a turn.
    You DID grease it ?
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks, bezhawk... 100%!
      I DID grease it -- packed bearings, greased races, inside of hub (thin coat) and spindle (thin coat)...
      It's seriously not supposed to spin loosely? I thought the less friction the better...
      -James

Comment

Hey Guys,
        Would appreciate other weigh-ins on this question so I can get this thing back on the ground!!
        Rest assured, I'm not looking to waste anyone's time -- I've researched and not found a satisfactory answer so I came to the group for some help.
        -James

Comment

Could be that I am missing something but there’s this thing called “pre-load” when installing wheel bearings. My experience is that it is one of those kind of “experience “ things mechanics develop a skill/feel for. Pre-load is the lateral force of tightening when cranking down on the castellated spindle nut. Due to variances of construction, age, etc. , counting threads (turns) or torque might not be all that’s needed. Give it your best shot, drive it some and recheck.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I always thought you snug it up till tight, then back off to insert cotter pin.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
              I always thought you snug it up till tight, then back off to insert cotter pin.
              Yep, that's pretty much what my experience is. I was just trying to be sure that's where the original poster is. I will admit that I have been guilty of accepting my first tightening work and failing to go back and recheck after test driving though. The other proverbial "fly in the ointment," is whether or not the brake pads are making contact with the rotors and creating a drag that could be the cause of variation between the left and right wheel rotational drag?
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks Guys!
                Yeah -- I'm talking about rotor only - no calipers on (yet).
                Problem I have with left side is no amount of snugging up then backing off is giving me that "long lasting spin" I'm getting on the right side (with no in/out play)... I think I prefer as little friction as possible, yes?

At the end of the day, I may have to bolt it up and hope for the best -- and then re-check it, of course.
                -James

Comment

Doesn't this Kit use the Spindle Adapter Rings that have to be heated and pressed on to adapt to the Ford Rotor?

My guess is, a bad one of those would do this.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Doesn't this Kit use the Spindle Adapter Rings that have to be heated and pressed on to adapt to the Ford Rotor?

My guess is, a bad one of those would do this.
                    Thanks, StudeRich --
                    Point of clarification is that yes, this is the set-up you describe -- however, it is not a new conversion (yes, new rotors, calipers, pads, bearings/races, and seal).
                    The adapter ring after cleaning up, did not show any unusual wear and the fingernail test didn't detect any grooves.
                    Previous installation had free-wheeling rotors that I am yearning for again.
                    -James

Comment

At that point I would probably try the right side rotor on the left and see how it spins.
                      As far as adjusting the nut, I was taught at a factory service school to seat front wheel bearings by snugging up and loosening the nut a few times while spinning the wheel. Then tighten the nut just until you are able to push the washer behind the nut up and down with a screwdriver blade. Just push gently, not twist or pry, and not so loose the washer will fall by itself. To make this work right you may have to buy one of those bearing adjusting kits with a serrated cap, thinner nut, and cotter pin. I adopted that method to all cars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.brg.adj.cap
Views:	112
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1912879

"Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                        At that point I would probably try the right side rotor on the left and see how it spins.
                        As far as adjusting the nut, I was taught at a factory service school to seat front wheel bearings by snugging up and loosening the nut a few times while spinning the wheel. Then tighten the nut just until you are able to push the washer behind the nut up and down with a screwdriver blade. Just push gently, not twist or pry, and not so loose the washer will fall by itself. To make this work right you may have to buy one of those bearing adjusting kits with a serrated cap, thinner nut, and cotter pin. I adopted that method to all cars.

[ATTACH]n1912879[/ATTACH]
                        Thanks, Dwain and Everyone.
                        For diagnostic purposes (rotors are drilled and slotted), I will swap them this afternoon after work and report back.
                        -James

Comment

A drilled and slotted Rotor! That sounds like the Mustang Cobra Rotor, not the recommended by Turner Brake Rotor if using His Kit.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Swapped rotors: Left Rotor (LR) on Right Spindle (RS) -- about the same as when on Left Spindle. R Rotor on L Spindle: does not spin as freely as when on Right...

Put Right Rotor back to Right Spindle and spins like Wheel of Fortune.... Left side seems to spin a wee bit better now but I could be imagining it.

Kept bearings with the rotors.

I think my only move now is to replace the new bearing/race and seal for Left side -- unless the prevailing wisdom is to not worry about it and "send it."

Thoughts?
                            -James

Comment

Working...
                            X