new 61 Lark question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new 61 Lark question

Again for my 61 Lark, the hood release cable seems hard to pull. Is there a correct under the hood position where it clamps?
    It is lubricated, but moved a bit. Now it is hard to open.
    PS what should the MPG be on a 61 six, with automatic??

David G. Nittler
    David G. Nittler

There should be at least one attachment point on the inner fender. If there isn't, the cable is very hard to pull. I had that problem on my 60 Lark when I first bought it - I had to open the hood from underneath. I attached a clip to a hole that was originally for that purpose. Worked like a charm after.

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

quote:Originally posted by drnittler

what should the MPG be on a 61 six, with automatic??
      Personal experience says low 20s in normal driving. Long trips on flat highways may get you high 20s but mashing the loud pedal (always tempting in a 6/FOM) will pull you down fast.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
      In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
      If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Best I've gotten is 15

David G. Nittler
        David G. Nittler

Comment

What part of the country are you in. Then city driving, country, or highway? I am in SW Pennsylvania (lots of hills and twisty roads) I have a 62 six with 3sp OD and 4:10 rear. I manage 16-17 in the city 14-17 in the country and the best I have done on the open road is 25mpg. I will note: I have a heavy right foot. The car used to be non OD and 3:73 gears. I could squeeze 20mpg out of it in mixed city country driving but man it was a slow ride and it took a ton of patience and determination.

Jon Krimm
          1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

the trick with the Lark hoods is to get a good snug fit around the front hood opening without rattles, then to adjust the dovetail catch so it just catches with a bit more than the weight of the hood falling on it's own weight. Tough to do after 50 years....On the mileage, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything above 17-19 mpg. Anything above that is gravy....

Comment

'course, my "low 20s" was back in the day when all gasoline was leaded petroleum distillates. With today's ethanol blends, Your Mileage Will Vary.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
              In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
              If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Working...
              X