1957 Golden Hawk Tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1957 Golden Hawk Tachometer

The 57 Golden Hawk Tach is not working. Just a look under the hood shows the sending unit between the cap and distributor is there but I am not sure where to start looking. What connections should I check first? I know how hard it could be to find one if it is shot. Some chapter member suggested using a different sender. Thoughts on that? Having a 3 speed overdrive and the low rear end and T-85, I would feel comfortable to have a tach reading out. I don't plan on winding her up but it would be nice to figure good shift points. Supercharger is unhook and frozen. The car has a 1958 289 and pulls strong at any rpm.

Thanks for your imput.

Bob Miles
    Turn it on, wind it up blow it up little Studebaker Hawk (not little GTO), not a Pontiyakker

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    The 57 Golden Hawk Tach is not working. Just a look under the hood shows the sending unit between the cap and distributor is there but I am not sure where to start looking. What connections should I check first? I know how hard it could be to find one if it is shot. Some chapter member suggested using a different sender. Thoughts on that? Having a 3 speed overdrive and the low rear end and T-85, I would feel comfortable to have a tach reading out. I don't plan on winding her up but it would be nice to figure good shift points. Supercharger is unhook and frozen. The car has a 1958 289 and pulls strong at any rpm.

Thanks for your imput.

Bob Miles
    Turn it on, wind it up blow it up little Studebaker Hawk
    Bob, the good news is the '57 GH 289" usually floats the valves before 5,000 RPM and thus is very difficult to blow up.

But the bad news is the Stewart-Warner synchronous drive tach is a clunky and temperamental conglomeration. There's the sending unit in the distributor, the NLA wiring harness, the synchro motor and the tach head. I've repaired a few, but these days, I just convert them to electronic guts.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

The obvious first thing to check would be the Cable connections at the Tach. and the Signal Generator device on the Dist.
      There are No 12V "Power Wires" or ANYTHING to test.

I would think beyond that, it would take a Professional Corvette or "Other" Make SW/GM Delco Tach. Pro to actually fix either unit or the Special "Cable".
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Stewart Warner still makes a gauge that looks almost identical. No crazy senders needed. You could use that and still route the old cables and keep authentic look.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
          Supercharger is unhook and frozen. The car has a 1958 289 and pulls strong at any rpm.

Bob Miles
          Turn it on, wind it up blow it up little Studebaker Hawk (not little GTO), not a Pontiyakker

Gotta get on that supercharger. It's what makes a Golden Hawk "golden"... plus the sounds and the feel of forced induction!

Tory (Needs Moar Compression) Cowan
          Has lots of extra wind.

Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

This is the modern SW tachometer. No sending unit needed.

Comment

Looks like it belongs there.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned